Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another One Bites the Dust ...


The news came out a few days ago – the Philadelphia Spectrum, former home of the Philadelphia Flyers and Sixers … once titled “America’s Showplace” … will be demolished in 2009. Sadly, this is the last building that housed a major champion in Philadelphia (The Sixers in 1983, and the Flyers in ’74-75). I’ve seen some great events there – here’s a list of a few of them:

• Hockey – I got to see legends like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux play my hometown team. I saw Philly legends like Bobby Clarke, Billy Barber, and even Pelle Lindbergh. Best of all, I saw them with my family.
• Basketball – I didn’t go to many basketball games, but I did see the Sixers vs. Celtics when Larry Byrd and Dr. J. were still playing, and I got to see Michael Jordan shred the Sixers in the playoffs one year.
• Concerts – No, I never got to see the Stones perform there, but I did get to see some shows, including Eric Clapton, which didn’t suck. I honestly can’t remember going to more than a few, because by the time I was regularly going to shows, the Center had already opened up.
• The Circus – I remember going to the Spectrum on a class trip to see Barnum and Bailey’s Circus. I remember being frightened by how high we were sitting, and how steep the stairs were … oh, and I also remember worried that the tight-rope walker would fall … he never did, though.
• Disney on Ice – This used to be a family tradition around Christmas time. I loved going to this … and no, I’m not gay. I was probably around 6 or 7 when we first started going. For some reason, we stopped – I guess it got too expensive … or maybe my parents feared I was getting too much in touch with my feminine side.
• Other things – I’ve seen the Philadelphia Bulldogs roller-hockey team, The Philadelphia Phantoms AHL hockey team, The Philadelphia Fever and Philadelphia Kixx indoor soccer teams, and the Philadelphia Wings indoor lacrosse teams there.

One thing is really sad about all of this (besides the memories). The entire landscape of the “sports area” in Philadelphia has changed so drastically since 1988, that there really won’t be anything left from back then – The Vet’s gone, JFK’s gone, and the Spectrum will soon join them. Seriously, one of these newer stadiums needs to host a champion, and soon!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got to see Gretzky?!?! I'm so jealous. And Lemieux?

I think I hate you now.

snowelf said...

Los, I know it's not terribly close to Philly, but I'm heading to Pittsburgh the first weekend in August, so I'll try to bring some good sports karma to PA!! :)

--snow

Stolen Colon said...

Karl I feel your pain.. When they destroyed the Vet I was crushed. Fortunately I had the pleasure of seeing some of the greats you mentioned as well. You forgot the PHILADELPHIA SOUL !!!! I love the Soul. We had season tickets up until this past year..figures !!

Anyway as bad as it is going to be to say good-bye, just think of what is coming. BARS, BARS, and more BARS !!! I forgot maybe a restaurant and hotel..lol

Stolen Colon said...

Oh and yes the Soul do play in the Spectrum when the Center has something going on...Just in case people were confused. They take a backseat to other events..

Poor John and Ron !!!

The Rev said...

"I loved going to this … and no, I’m not gay"

Geez, Los. For someone who is not gay, you sure feel the need to remind us of this often.

Don't feel so bad. I'm the guy who's first concert was Neil Sedaka when my mom dragged me to see him when I was 5.

Jeff said...

Those stadia certainly had their moments, but their time had come.

If this city is too dumb to put its teams downtown, then somebody's gotta bring the pre- and post-game city experience to the stadium complex. And the Spectrum lot is the only place left.

El Padrino said...

how do you think i'm going to feel when they rip shea stadium down?

Christina_the_wench said...

Hockey? did I hear hockey? *looks around* I've been sports-deprived since April. God, I hate baseball and golf.

Sorry to hear they are destroying stuff over your way. :(

minijonb said...

that's a lot of personal history you have invested in that place. stage a sit in so they can't tear it down.

-B- said...

I hear ya Los - it was pretty sad seeing the Vet go down. That's where I saw the Stones on their Steel Wheelchair..I mean Steel Wheels Tour.
My Spectrum memories consist of WWF when Andre the Giant was around, a monster truck show, Metallica (And Justice for All), Billy Joel, Elton, and the Harlem GlobeTtrotters.
Good times, my friends!!

Los said...

Alaina - Gretzky had a good night against the Flyers that night too, if I remember correctly.

Snowelf - Bring all the good luck you can!!!!

Colon - The Soul winning a championship would be nice, but still wouldn't remove the curse.

Rev - gay.

Jeff - Agreed, but still, I can share my memories, right?

ElP - That'll be hell.

Christina - I was indeed talking hockey! Congrats on another cup, by the way!

Minijonb - I don't know if I'm THAT passionate about it.

-B- I saw wrasslin' there as well!

Angie said...

A lot of cities are changing their venues... Three Rivers Stadium was torn down to make way for Heinz field anad PNC park, although the Steelers make greaet use of Heinz, I wish I could say more for the Buccos and PNC park.. ( beautiful ball park though). And now my Pens will have a new state of the art arena in 2010... Think positive with old things gone, you have the memories and great things to look forward too.