Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vacation ... FINALLY!

I really can’t wait for this week to be over – you see, on Saturday, my wife and I, along with some of our closest friends, are heading to the Outer Banks for a week. For those of you not familiar with the Outer Banks, you can click here to find out more: http://www.outerbanks.org/index.asp. I’ve been there a number of times, and have never been disappointed.

As you probably already know, I’ve lived near Philadelphia all my life. The normal beach places for us Philly folks to travel to are in New Jersey, and while they’re, for the most part, quite nice, they are expensive, and overcrowded. The Delaware beaches are nicer, in my opinion, but you still have to deal with annoying people. So, how did we “discover” the Outer Banks?

Actually, my friend Davers’s parents went down to Nags Head many years ago – probably the early 1980’s. Back then, Nags Head, and most of the Outer Banks, was nothing more than a fishing resort. Davers came back from that vacation raving about how great the fishing was. We had made a pact that someday, we’d make it down there.

That day was the summer of 1999. Davers and I, along with another friend, made our trek to the Outer Banks, in search of fish and a good time. We stayed in Nags Head again – and Davers commented on how much more “commercial” Nags Head had become. Now, it is nowhere near as commercial as the Jersey shore, but now there are other things to do besides fish.

The first thing I realized was that renting a house in the Outer Banks is SO MUCH CHEAPER than the Jersey shore. And, the fishing was indeed very good – we could many weakfish, spots, croakers, bluefish, and even Spanish Mackerel on a daily basis. The nightlife was actually pretty good in the Kill Devil Hills – Nags Head area – good bars, and great restaurants.

Keep in mind, the Outer Banks stretches for hours – which means there are family friendly areas like Duck and Corolla. There are areas with good nightlife like Kill Devil Hills, and there are still areas for the guys that just want to fish, like Cape Hatteras. It’s got everything – it really just depends on what you want to do.

Davers and I went down to the Outer Banks one more time in 2000 – and again, had a great time. My wife, Babs, and I started going down there, probably in 2005 – we went twice and had a fantastic time. The place we got two years ago was huge – it had an in-ground pool, a game room with a pool table, and plenty of room to sleep about 8-10 people. This year, we’re heading back to the same place, but this time with more friends. I can’t wait!

I’ll post some pics and stories when I get back. In the meantime, behave yourselves!

16 comments:

Kristin said...

Have fun and don't forget your spf!!

The Rev said...

I wish I could join you.

Bait a hook for me.

Ink and Stone said...

Nice! Have fun on your vaction and go do some crabbing too!

schue said...

I can't wait!!!

El Padrino said...

gotta love VACA

enjoy bastardo!

snowelf said...

Los--enjoy yourself!! Don't get into too much trouble. ;)

--snow

The Preacherman said...

Outer Banks? Barclays? NatWest? Lloyds? Never been to a bank for a break myself. Bastards always turn me down for loans anyroad.

Have a good'n mate

minijonb said...

go have a great time.

Ken said...

Show me what Outer Bank people look like?

-B- said...

Been a few times - stayed in Duck with the fam. Had a great house on the beach once and had one on the bay the second trip. It was a blast! You're right - it is a LOT cheaper than here in Jersey.
Have a great time Dude - and don't forget the "Brew Thru"'s!!! lol
(Brew Thru's are the drive through liquor and beer stores down there).

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a grand time. I can't wait for my vaca at the end of August.

Catch some sun for me!

Anonymous said...

Hey... I gave you an award... pop over to pick it up. :-)

scargosun said...

I hope you are having a fabulous time! I love me some NC beaches. :)

Superstar said...

Hope you have a great time!!!

I keep hearing SOOOO much about the famous "stay=cation" this year.

See ya soon!!
~waves~

Christina_the_wench said...

We will NOT behave. C'mon. You know us better than that. ;)

Get back here soon and bring pics or I am letting super loose to wreck havoc.

Los said...

Kristin - Got a nice tan, actually.

Rev - Caught some nice fish, my friend.

Ink - Only ate crabs, my friend.

Schue - I can't believe it's over.

ElP - I hate it when it ends.

Snowelf - No trouble this time!

Dinners - It's a vacation beach area in North Carolina - you'd love it.

Minijonb - I had a fantastic time - can't believe it's over.

Reverse - they look like us ... except with a Southern drawl and Nascar clothing.

B - I wonder if we could make a lot of money opening up a Brew Thru up here?

Alaina - I want another vacation!

Scargosun - I miss it so!

Superstar - I guess all good things must come to an end.

Christina - I'm back ... complete with pics!