Monday, November 28, 2005

I Can See Why They Call it Black Friday

I’ve never been one to attempt the perilous act of journeying to the local malls and department stores on Black Friday – mainly because of our annual day-after-Thanksgiving football game (by the way, we finally smartened up this year – we played touch football instead of tackle … and I’m still really f-in sore).

But after seeing the footage of some local discount stores, and the absolute lack of civility at said locations, I don’t think you could pay me to go out and do my shopping on Black Friday. I understand there were some really great deals – Best Buy had laptops for $200, and I think that Target was selling 20-inch flat screen tvs with dvd players for $80 – but I probably would be thrown in jail after my complete breakdown at one of these stores.

Thank goodness I got most of my shopping done early. Don’t get me wrong – I still have stuff to buy, but I’ve learned to be smart and buy a little early.

I think some of these lunatics who go out at 4:30 in the morning, and fight tooth-and-nail for some of these items should really take a look in the mirror and have a heart-to-heart with the idiot that is looking back to see if this is truly what the Christmas season is all about.

1 comment:

The Rev said...

It is amazing. I can't see myself getting up at 4:30 in the morning for a bargain on a TV. But then again, I could have used a flat screen TV with a DVD this year. I paid $129 at Best Buy for a flat screen 20 inch, and it didn't have a DVD.

Not only has Christmas gotten so commercialized (which is useless to complain about anymore, it's just reality), so many retailers rely on this season to make their money for the season. That's why they call it Black Friday... retailers need to get out of the red and into the black for the year. And with more and more shopping done on the internet, retailers have to come up with ways to get people into the stores. That is why we are seeing these obscene deals at 5 in the morning. It will get worse.