Monday, August 27, 2007

I Have a Whole New Respect ...

Look, I’m not saying that I didn’t respect plumbers in the past, but I never really gave much thought to how difficult their jobs are … that is, until Saturday. We’ve had a problem with our upstairs toilet for quite a while. The insides of the toilet tank were pretty old and failing. I decided I would replace the insides of the tank with new, more up-to-date ones. I thought that MAYBE it would take a few hours tops … boy was I mistaken!

The first part of the replacement procedure was easy enough – taking out the old inside parts. I accomplished this in less than ½ hour. I’m good at breaking things, so this came naturally to me. However, actually taking off the toilet tank posed a MUCH more difficult task. Just about all the bolts and wing-nuts were rusted together, and after a few hours of spraying them with WD-40, degreasers, and anything else I could think of, I finally had to break down, buy a small hack-saw, and cut them off.

After doing this, I had to call my dad, use an even bigger hack-saw, and cut off some more bigger parts of the toilet tank. We spent another few hours with this “fun” chore before we finally got everything off of it. The box, with the new equipment was right, however. It was easy installation … however, it never mentioned anywhere on the box how difficult it would be to take the old “guts” out.

Once we installed it, we tested it … and, as luck would have it, it leaked when it flushed … which, I somehow deduced was due to the rubber gasket on the bottom … the box said that I wouldn’t need any plumber’s putty … bull-sh&t! I ended up making 4 trips to Chrome Repot that day, but after more than 9 hours, I finally got the toilet working again.

A couple of things. First, it probably would’ve been easier, had I just bought an entire new toilet and installed that. Second, for some reason, the water isn’t filling up as quickly as it was before … it takes about 10 minutes for the tank to fill up now …. So now, we are using the downstairs toilet more … oh, what a nightmare.

13 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

Sounds like one hell of a learning experience.
If the water's filling up more slowly, check the new tank for any sort of blockage.

El Padrino said...

i consider myself a handy guy
but there are tow things i never fuck with

because they are most important

plumbing and electric

El Padrino said...

*few

Crassius Maximus said...

I used to say, yeah I'm not handy n'shit, I'm a ballplayer, that's where I'm handy, on the field. I've found that since I'm so hopelessly washed up now, that I'm slowly becoming more handy. Still not handy enough to install a water closet, tho'.

Superstar said...

Damn I hate it when the "crapper" takes a crap!
na na na na na nah!
*giggles*

~rolls eyes~
You know me and toilet issues!
LOL ;oD

-B- said...

Whew!! I hope it goes easier for me as I am about to roll-on a new color (epoxy) on my upstairs tub. Thought it would be quick, but after reading the directions, each step in the prep time takes 1 to 2 days!! Then you have to let it fully set for 5 to 7 days after you're done!! Maybe I'll stay with the ugly mustard color afterall!!! lol

The Rev said...

As long as no plumber's crack was involved.

Christina_the_wench said...

After you fix your toilet, can you install the new shower massage thingy I bought? The preacher man is allowing it to sit and stare at him, taunting him, all the while my back is not reaping the benefits.

ToddPacker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ToddPacker said...

i hate the phillies

Steph said...

Why must you guys insist on doing everything yourself? Wouldn't it not have been cheaper to get a plumber out?

minijonb said...

that was a brave attempt at DIY... now go blow up the new tank and call the plumber.

Jeff said...

We have a rocket flusher upstairs. Highly recommended.

Steph: When my central air died, the technician charged $120 to not find the problem. I then found it myself in 15 minutes. THAT is why we do everything possible ourselves.