Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year ...

I know, I know – why would I say this about the dog days of August? Well, let me enlighten you. Football season is about to start, which means TV will no longer be supersaturated with ridiculous NASCAR coverage, and now will be supersaturated with everything pig-skin. Football on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and even Thursdays … men can now get out of their “hibernation” state, and instead spend countless hours laying on the couch … wait, maybe I got that mixed up.

Anyway, not only will I be rooting on my favorite professional team, the Philadelphia Eagles, but I will also be cheering Joe-Pa’s Nittany Lions, hoping they crush Notre Dame, as well as Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Sure, both teams will probably find a way to make me miserable, but it’s August – the season hasn’t started yet, so my hopes are as high as Lindsay Lohan right now.

On top of this, fantasy football once again will take center-stage, as we all get to “pretend” to be general managers with the hopes of winning championships and lots of money. After a disappointing last season (I took Shaun Alexander with the first pick instead of Tomlinson), I look to rebound. I certainly won’t be taking Vince Young, now that he is on the cover of Madden ’08 – I’ve learned my lesson.

Surprisingly, the Phitin’ Phillies are still hangin’ around the playoff scene, and playing good ball despite the lack of a good pitching rotation and bullpen, as well as a plethora (hey, that’s the name of my blog site) of injuries. So, on those Tuesday and Wednesday nights when there is no football, I have something to watch.

And yes, I’m still happily married … somehow.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

ESPN says goodbye to BarryBondsCenter, hello to TOCenter.

Looking forward to Penn State's season -- if they can get past Michigan, could be a really big year.

Where do you pick in the first round this year?

If the Phillies can maintain for the next 2 weeks, they'll be dangerous when Utley and Victorino return. Even with their pitching.

Maybe having you harmlessly locked to the TV helps Sue stay sane?

Crassius Maximus said...

Hope you guys enjoy Adam Eaton. He's the biggest pussy in pro sports. Too bad it cost the Phils 24 million to find it out.

Steph said...

Oh great. All my favoutie American bloggers are gonna be talkin football.

GAH!
How long is the season?

Los said...

Jeff - We don't find out draft position until the night of the draft ... kind of adds a twist to things. BTW - we have an opening, in case you are interested.

Crass - Gillick's offseason pitching moves were horrendous. Yet, we are still in the playoff hunt, somehow.

Steph - Football season runs until February (early February). The actual first game of the season is on September 8.

Jeff said...

Karl: Thanks for the invite, but I'll have to pass. I remember your league being more involved than I can be right now. And I'll be away the next couple weeks.

Crass: Soccer players are all bigger ones than Eaton. So thanks for disqualifying Metric Football as a pro sport.

Ink and Stone said...

[begin sarcasm] yay! [end sarcasm]

minijonb said...

i have to squeeze in my football around all the soccer and F1 i watch. it's amazing i have any time to work or fool around after that!

...and Penn St. is going to lose to Michigan State this year in the final Big Ten game. i can feel it (well, maybe not =:-)

snowelf said...

I played fantasy football one time and I was so psyched up for it and I got some awesome players who some of the boys were jealous of and then EVERYONE who rocked on my team got hurt and was out for the season.

I was out my stupid 20 dollars and everyone laughed at me. Stupid heads.

I hope you have better luck!!

Game On!

--snow