Monday, October 17, 2005

What Gives with the ND Rankiing????

I’m sick of Notre Dame and the privileges that they receive from the NCAA, especially in college football. Does anybody realize that they have lost 2 games and are in the top 10? How is this possible? Did God have a vote for the Irish? Is there some conspiracy with the IRA that we haven’t been told of?

The Irish lost to USC this weekend in the very last seconds. Yes, this was pretty impressive, but THIS was Notre Dame’s Super Bowl. They’ve been preparing for this one for two weeks, and the game was a HOME game. That means that Notre Dame has lost both of its games at home this season. Does this sound like a team that should be in the running for a BCS bowl???? I am thoroughly disgusted.

Notre Dame came into Saturday’s game ranked ninth in the country. I have no problem with that ranking – ND has won some impressive game. But after the LOSS, Notre Dame is still ranked 9? Has this ever happened in college football history – a team losing and still being ranked 9th? I’m pretty sure some people were toying with the idea of actually putting ND at 8 or 7 after the loss. If the Irish won that game, they probably would’ve been ranked 1. I am so sick of this school and all of the liberties that are given to it.

Maybe it is the fact that they have an exclusive contract with NBC. What is NBC thinking on this one? They cannot show any other college football games because of this. Also, Notre Dame plays about half their games a year on the road, which means NBC can’t cover those games either. Is it worth the 5 or 6 games a year? Half of those games are against teams that aren’t even that good.

I like Charlie Weis, and I think he’s a great coach. But, man, do I hope that he fails miserably at Notre Dame. I want this arrogant college to finally have to choose a conference to play in, instead of waving that annoying “We are independent, and we love it” banter around.

Oh yea, and they lost on Saturday even though they wore those precious green jerseys. Shouldn’t that knock them out of the top 20?

2 comments:

The Rev said...

I just looked... the AP has Notre Dame ranked 9, USA Today's poll has them at 12. For some reason, the BCS rankings on espn.com don't list Notre Dame or Penn State. I'll never understand the BCS.

I personally dislike Notre Dame immensely. I never liked them. But here are two counter points in their defense...

1. They did just lose to the #1 team in the last second. I don't know if taking the #1 team to the brink like that means you deserve to drop in the rankings. Penn State lost to an inferior team in my mind, therefore they deserve a drop. At least ND lost to a better team, and still by the slimmest of circumstances possible.

2. I hate the fact that ND has an exclusive TV deal as well, but I can't argue the logic. The reason they have that exclusive deal is that they can justify the ratings and the advertising money. People watch those games, and that is what it is all about. Nobody is giving ND the deal because God is on their side. If no one watched, that deal wouldn't happen. They have that deal because they draw in a shitload of money in ratings and ad dollars on tv, and because their fan base spends money on them like a drunken sailor on shore leave. If Penn State commanded the amount of money in broadcast revenue like Notre Dame does, then they would have an excusive deal too.

I say shame on the NCAA for allowing it to happen and allowing a school to operate outside the confines like ND does, but at the same time the NCAA knows where their bread is buttered as well. They are a shameful governing body and have been for years.

This is why I don't follow college football nearly as much as I used to. It has as much credibility as boxing.

The Rev said...

Oh one more thing... this has happened plenty of times in college history, and usually Notre Dame benefits from it. I swear they could lose 5 games this year, and they will still get that New Years Day bowl bid from someone because of the money they draw. Reality sucks.