Friday, January 27, 2006

More Snippets

1. Ford is now the latest U.S. car-maker to announce cuts in order to save the company. Is this a surprise to anyone? Is a Ford on the top of your list when you think of buying a new car (and don’t live in the hinterlands)? Finally, somebody got the hint that creativity was an afterthought with these automobiles. Yes – there are other issues with regards to the unions, pensions, too many layers of management, etc. that play into this, but the bottom line is that people don’t like boring cars. President Bush even said this (sort of) when asked about it a few days ago. In fact, he went on to say that Ford and GM should really look outside the box and MAYBE focus on researching alternative fuel technologies to maybe get a leg up on the competition (or at least try to catch up to the competition). The large thud heard was of the many big oil company people’s jaws hitting the ground.

2. Rumor has it that Google may be on the verge of entering terrestrial radio. My God, finally some potentially positive news for people who haven’t switched to satellite radio! I’m guessing that Google will take a very different path than all of the other big, boring, risk-averting companies that currently have a strangle hold on the radio market (especially in Philly) – and may offer a new, refreshing alternative … at least, I hope so.

3. I saw previews for the new Pink Panther movie a bunch this week. Now, I’m a big fan of the Pink Panther franchise – I loved the work that Peter Sellers did. Consequently, I also like Steve Martin. But, man, do those commercials look horrible. I have a feeling that this movie may be a step BELOW such flops as “Dude, Where’s My Car,” “Dumb and Dumberer,” and even “Gigli.”

4. Has the Super Bowl been played yet? Isn’t this usually more hyped? I almost forgot about it this week. Maybe it’s because the Eagles aren’t involved – although with the exception of last year (and 1981), they are never involved, and I still feel super-saturated with Super Bowl matchup knowledge. But not this year. Maybe its because the Seahawks are in it – which makes it almost feel like the Canadian Football championship, or a division 3 college football game.

2 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

1. I own a Ford Focus now... I plan on buying something different (non-Ford) on the next go around.

2. Not just in Philly, the riskless corps are everywhere. Heavens forbid that readio plays something with alittle bit of talent instead of Nickleback, Green Day, or any of the other countless 'genres' that all sound the same.

3. I don't think it can be that bad Karl. I think you're just bitter. BITTER!

4. Still don't care.

The Rev said...

1. FORD... Fix or repair daily.
I wonder if the problems they are having have to do with the fact that a good portion of the general public views their products as inferior.

2. Why does Google need to get into terrestrial radio? It's a business going downhill. Maybe they think they can infuse something into it. But if I were Google, I would stay out. That could be Google's downfall. You don't want to attach yourself to a sinking ship.

3. I never saw the original. I think I should though. I think I should see the original before the remake.

4. That's because this is the first Super Bowl with an all AFC matchup. The Seahawks are still AFC to me.