Thursday, February 07, 2008

Other Things ...

A few more fleeting thoughts …

1. One morning/afternoon, after a long night of drink….er, I mean, studying, a few of my college roommates/friends and I went down to a diner to eat a late breakfast. One of my “intelligent beyond his years” roommates quipped that he thought it would be a great idea if somebody developed a nutrient enriched beer. The rest of us grunted and snorted, as we emptied the breakfast contents of our plates down our collective gullets. None of us thought this was a particularly good, or interesting idea, at the time.

Sure, we still haven’t seen a nutrient enriched beer hit the market (might be a good thing, because I would probably die of being too fit, if that were the case), but Coke has a nutrient enriched cola on the market now. Aside from it being one step closer to the aforementioned beer, where the hell was this idea when I was a 2-3 can soda junkie back when I was a teenager?


2. A few of my friends scoffed at me for rooting for the Giants in the Super Bowl last weekend … basically saying that I wasn’t a real Eagles fan if I rooted for the Giants. In all honesty, I was more rooting against the Patriots (check), and also rooting for an entertaining football game (double check). Now that Jeremy Shockey is hurt, the Giants are a lot easier to root for, even with their annoying fans (hey, they’re a lot like us … without the heartache and heartburn of never winning a Super Bowl). I think the ultimate culprit in the Patriots’ loss was the Patriots (Karma played a humiliating game of testicle tennis with them).


3. Is anybody else giving anything substantial up for Lent? I always have a tough time picking something, and once again, I don’t think I’m really giving anything up for Lent. I know, I know, I probably should, but hey – isn’t this part of the Catholic religion? I’m a Lutheran, which means that I am a natural slacker.

4. Speaking of being Lutheran, we don’t quite celebrate Ash Wednesday, certainly not like some religions, in which one gets ash put on his/her forehead, resembling a cross. I always forget about this, and am initially shocked when I see people walking around looking as if somebody decided to put out his/her cigarette on their skull.

8 comments:

minijonb said...

I thought Guinness was a nutrient enriched beer... it's bread in a glass.

Jeff said...

1. Guinness is good for you. It's not just a slogan.

2. It's not like you rooted for Notre Dame. Besides, the Giants saved us from a Cowboys-Patriots suck-fest.

3. So far, I'm giving up sleep for Lent.

4. I'm Catholic and never saw an ashen cross on a forehead until I moved to Philly.

The Rev said...

You don't root for the Giants as an Eagles fan.

You just don't do it.

Steph said...

I'm giving up douchbags for lent. It's so hard to avoid them ;)

Lisa said...

I'm not Catholic either and never saw ashes on a forehead until I was in college. Yes, I pointed out to someone that they had dirt on their forehead. Ooops. Never did that again. ... Babs Peapod

Sandi said...

Ha! I'm Catholic and I'm always initially shocked by the ashes, too (OK, I'm a lapsed Catholic).

And I think I've given up quite enough, so I am off the hook for lent.

El Padrino said...

i gave up alcohol at my wife's expense but dotn think it will last past this weekend

Los said...

Minijonb - When I was in Ireland, I saw lots of ads like "Guiness for Strength," and "Guiness for Health."

Jeff - I think Notre Dame and the Cowboys are my two least favorite "franchises."

Rev - You're just bitter, because you like the Patriots ... fag.

Steph - We have an overabundance of them in our government.

Lisa - I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Sandi - Again, glad I'm not the only one! My religion is very lax.

ElP - Alcohol???????