Monday, March 13, 2006

Truly March Madness?????

In what might be the most ingenious events planning of all-time, March Madness begins on St. Patrick’s Day. I have a gut feeling that there will be an un-heard number of sick-days being spent on Thursday and Friday.

One question pops to mind – is it o.k. to drink green beer and watch the basketball tournament? My guess is yes, only because it is still beer. If it were broccoli juice or something disgusting like that, maybe I would think differently.

Another question – Can college basketball be watched with that annoying Irish music being played in the background? I’m guessing the green beer will make it palatable – hopefully the green dye used will actually increase the alcohol level in the beer (and the body).

Finally, everybody knows that St. Patrick’s Day is amateur night for many beer-drinkin’ wannabe’s. These part-timer’s come out of the woodwork and crowd just about every bar around (and the bars that are not crowded on St. Patrick’s Day, are bars you probably don’t want to go to in the first place). This will most assuredly cause problems with the patrons who are trying to watch the basketball games, possibly causing drunken riots of unmatched proportions. Again, maybe the green beer will help with this (maybe they will put prozac in the green dye).

O.K., so on second thought, maybe having March Madness start on St. Patrick’s Day is not such a good idea.

3 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

Beer? Check!

Basketball? No check!

Ken said...

When I was younger, I was open about taking the day off for St.P day. I thought it was a well deserved day off. I was able to keep up with Melanie (at the bars) for at least half the day.

We were talking about this a couple of days ago and we both think the tables have turned thanks to my Monday nights.

The Rev said...

I don't think anyone should ever drink green beer. It is just wrong on so many levels.

I like my idea of St Patrick's Day better... I go out and DJ a local bar and make money off the drunks. I am all about the benjamins.