Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lottery Blues

So, I didn’t win the big New Jersey Lottery last night – well, actually, I did win $2 for hitting the powerball, so I got that going for me…. But, it got me to thinking. What would I do, if I won a substantial lottery – say anything over $100 million (I’d gladly take less, but I might do things a little differently).

First thing I (and most intelligent people) would do is contact a trusted attorney (should these two words be in the same sentence?) to guide me with specific financial details that I may not be aware of.

Next, I would probably put my house up for sale and move out (I still wouldn’t claim the winning ticket at this point). At this point, I would probably tell my parents, and THAT’S IT. Last thing I need is to have thousands of my so-called “friends” call me out of the blue to see how I’m doing (no offense, I know who my real friends are). Also, I’d be afraid of people who prey on these lottery winners – and you know those people are out there (many of them are going to Ohio to find the winner as we speak).

I would move into a new house (or maybe an apartment for the time-being), and make sure that it is unlisted. I would probably put a big chunk away in safe investments in which I could live off of the interest. I’m not sure if I’d stop working at my current place of employment, but if I did, I’d probably find someplace to either work part-time, or I would take up some exciting hobbies (internet radio, golf, skiing, big-game fishing, etc.).

I’d definitely like to buy property – maybe a place down the shore and in the Poconos that I could rent out for part of the year, and live in for other parts. I might buy other real-estate, and rent it out, or fix it up and sell it. I’d definitely like to try and make money because (A) I’d be afraid of blowing all the winnings, and (B) it would give me something to do.

I’m not sure where I heard it, but somebody told me that many big winners in lotteries are broke after 5 years, because they don’t pace themselves, and splurge at a rate that they can’t withstand. I don’t want to be that guy if I’m ever lucky enough to be in this position. I should probably stop dreaming.

2 comments:

The Rev said...

I will state this for the record.

If you win the lottery, I will not be one of those friends who hit you up for money. That is not the type of guy I am.

However, I will show up on your doorstep every night to mooch a free meal and beer.

Ken said...

I would volunter to be your personal photographer and document your first year in the spot lite. I would procede to post those pictures... with anecdotes on a blog labeled, "Karl's Cash."