Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Another Tradition Bites the Dust???

Interboro is not playing Ridley this year on Thanksgiving Day. Who cares, you may ask? Well … probably not many people outside of Delaware County, but I do, dammit! This football rivalry has been going on since the 1960’s – and while there are many other high school rivalries that have a longer tradition, this was “my” high school rivalry.

I also fear that because of the PIAA (Pennsylvania’s high school athletic association), Thanksgiving day rivalries may become a thing of the past in this state. This is atrocious on many, many levels. For instance, many high schools make a boat-load of money on these Thanksgiving rivalries, that they can put back into athletics. Interboro (my high school) is one of them. How will they be able to recover these funds? I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to this.

Secondly, many kids growing up looked forward to playing in this big game. If it no longer exists, will some of these kids no longer have interest in sports? Maybe I’m being a little too dramatic with this, but with the interest in playing sports decreasing (thanks to other “hobbies” like television, computers, game consoles), this may be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for some.

Additionally, may alumni go to these games to reconnect with other alumni – this has happened to me, and it is one of the things I truly enjoy about Thanksgiving. Now what? I’m sure I can go to the local watering holes to reconnect with alumni who have come back to visit family and friends, but it’s not the same.

The PIAA probably has a number of reasons for not allowing playoff teams to play Thanksgiving day games. But, is it really that bad to push back the playoffs one week, so we can keep this tradition? Other states do this? Why is PA different? I guess I’ll just have to spend the day at home, nursing my annual Thanksgiving hangover.

5 comments:

The Rev said...

I am upset over this.

That game fueled my love for sports for many years. Without it, some of that fuel for the younger kids is gone.

Playoffs are fine and all, but you mean to tell me you can't have a week off to do your Thanksgiving game if you need it?

I know other states have it both ways. Masachusetts manages to get in the Thanksgiving games and the playoffs.

Anonymous said...

It's like when you go back "home" and they have torn down your elementry school or HS and built a mall or something...Equally as devistating....

GO TEAM GO..GET a 1-0 UGH!

El Padrino said...

gobble gobble

iamunstoppable said...

time to pick up your skirt and TURKEY BOWL!!

get the ol' crew together and do an adults touch/tackle/flag game.

i would say kids vs adults, but we know the old guys would get slaughtered.

Ken said...

But what about Preston and Steve's parade today. That was something... huh... huh!