Thursday, November 16, 2006

Stoppage Time

That’s My Boss!
Don’t you hate bosses that never seem to keep their employees informed about anything? Yep, you guessed it. I have a boss like this. For starters, he goes on vacation without telling anybody … that’s right, you heard me … WITHOUT TELLING ANYBODY! Isn’t this something you might want to mention to people you manage, in case they were wondering where you were? I’m not telling you to give out your cellphone number or anything like that, but just inform everybody that you will be out of the office for the week, and that if you need any help with something, either put it aside, or have somebody serving as your “right-hand man” while you are out.

If that was all he did, it wouldn’t be such a big deal. HOWEVER, he shits on his underlings in other fascinating ways. For instance, he apparently is interviewing people for potential openings in our department. I’m not saying he has to give us pages of background information on each candidate, BUT if he brings them around to us, maybe he should give us a little more information than just saying, “Hey, this is Donna.” Yep, that’s it. I don’t know if I should know the person, or who this person really is. It really pisses me off.

Plus, if he is going to be out of the office for the day, maybe on travel to a meeting in Dahlgren or Bloomsburg, he could maybe tell the office, just in case somebody important was looking for him (yep – this happened to me today).

I’m not sure if I’m more upset with the fact that he does this, or that with all of these “qualifications,” he is my boss. I guess that’s a toss-up. Thank goodness it’s Friday.


Should You Really Be Throwing Darts?

A friend of mine was throwing darts whilst inebriated a few nights ago. On more than one occasion, he walked up to the line to throw darts, and realized he didn’t have the darts in his hands. On another occasion, he told another dart thrower to aim for the M … I think this needs some explanation. On a regular dart board, the 11 can resemble an M … WHEN YOU ARE PLASTERED! I think I’m gonna make a shirt up for him that says “Don’t Drink and Dart.”

Random Conversation of the Week
My wife and I were watching the news, and there was a story about severe weather in the Carolinas in which 11 people died. The odd part about this story was that the reporter said something along the lines of “the death toll is at 11.” It got me to thinking – when is it o.k. to use the “death toll” line? My wife and I decided that if more than 99 people die, using “death toll” is justified. However, anything less, and it is wrong to do so.

9 comments:

Eric said...

It definitely has to be bigger than 11 thats for sure. Unless they are still counting, as in, "The death toll is at 11 and many more are presumed missing." But once the numbers set it has to be a big number to be a toll.

Kristin said...

I had a boss who would leave the office and then call, withing 3 minutes to say he forgot something and ask me to bring it to him... I would end up following him in my car to his meeting, walk in like 3 seconds behind him, and then stand there while he made me wait so he could glad-hand... then, he would often ask me to do some dumb thing or other... just to trot me out like a show pony.

Ugh. I still hate that man and I haven't seen him in 10 years!

Anonymous said...

I am not that kind of boss. Can I stay?

El Padrino said...

good work on the death toll thing

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like, You are the guy in that Careerbuilder commercial with the monkeys! LOL ;o)~

This is why HR HATES it when "managers" do the interviewing! LOL ~shivers~ Just a real big no-no... The things that Managers (especially bad onessay...)~shivers again..

Los said...

Eric - Agreed, the term death toll is being overused.

Kristin - that's when you know for sure that the job probably wasn't a perfect fit for you.

Jeff - I guess urinating on your boss's feet with the customer there probably wouldn't have been the best thing...

Christina - As long as you promise not to be that boss!

ELP - It makes me sick to hear things "sexified" with the term death toll.

Superstar - You've been through the wars, then.

The Rev said...

I don't know if talking about a boss is a good idea on a blog. You never know who might read. But then again... I'm a wimp.

Believe me... if I could, I would unleash a torrent of stories that have made me cringe over the years.

Working in radio, you get dumb bosses with huge egos who like to talk. Awful combo!

Steph said...

Why do we need a death toll anyway?
How morbid.

GM-Carson said...

i hate my current boss with a passion. she tries to be all up in my personal life, she even calls me on nights, weekends, and during holiday breaks...digusting.