Sunday, November 19, 2006

I Don't Like Shopping Malls

I Don’t Think I Like Shopping Malls Much

My wife and I went Christmas shopping on Saturday at the Christiana Mall in Delaware, and I realized something. I hate malls. Maybe it’s just during Christmas season, but I am annoyed with others who are shopping, the ridiculous prices, and trying to find a parking space. For some reason, I’d much rather go to Target, Circuit, City, Best Buy, or any other department store – please don’t hold that against me.

I spent the entire day at the mall, going into stores, looking at price tags, and thinking to myself that I could do so much more better than this. I’ve realized something about myself. I love to find bargains … this is probably a trait that I got from my mom. But additionally, I don’t enjoy shopping in places where I can’t find anything that I would like to have for myself. I understand that Christmas shopping isn’t about me, totally, however, if I’m in a store, like Pottery Barn, and I find nothing that I long for, I have a tough time purchasing something for others. Maybe, it’s just an illness or something.

My wife told me that I can’t go around buying CDs, DVDs, and games for others, just because I like them. I understand that, but sometimes I just can’t put my mind to buying things for others when I’m not inspired.

Perfect example – we were in this store, and my wife found this photo album that she thought was really cute. I shrugged, and told her that if anybody ever bought me a photo album (without any pictures in it), I’d be offended. It’s not that I don’t like photo albums, but this seems like something I could buy on my own if I needed it, much like socks and underwear.

So, I ended up buying a few little things. My wife was probably pissed off that she spent a day shopping with me – she could do so much better on her own.

In a few days, we’ll be swamped with offers and advertisements for Black Friday. I’ve seen some “sneak previews” from some stores, and I’m intrigued. The thing is that I really don’t feel like getting up at 4:00 a.m. to go Christmas shopping.

11 comments:

mollymcmo said...

i haven't started any Xmas shopping, i'm going to be part of that crazy december crowd

i am a mean beyotch when december shopping though, a really big mean one :)

m

Steph said...

Haven't started my xmas shopping either and it's starting to freak me out.
I too hate malls. Online shopping is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

I like malls, but I hate "shopping" at them. I also always feel like I can do better bargain-wise somewhere else. I'm all about outlet stores and on-line shopping.

Plus I like to get very personal gifts for people and usually the mall is not the way to go unless it's something specifically reqested.

And just to brag a baby bit, I have finished all of the kid-shopping this month and will be done with the adult shopping very soon. But don;t hate me too much, this is the first year I have ever been this far ahead.

--snow

Eric said...

I try to avoid going outside during the Christmas season, it can get scary out there. Online shopping is where it's at.

Fairmaiden327 said...

I hear you Los. All of a sudden I became a tightwad. I just refuse to pay retail. When I do, I get angry. Oh, and I loathe malls.

Kristin said...

Internet, baby... I am doing all my shopping online.

iamunstoppable said...

my friends and i avoid worthless gifts by purchasing nothing, and expecting nothing to be purchased for us. makes life much more simple.

family stuff though.. well, hey, gotta sacrifice then.. but still, i 3rd the online or bargain bin shopping.

The Rev said...

I never pay retail if I can help it.

Los said...

Molly - So, YOU'RE the one!

Step - I have done some online shopping ... I might have to do more.

Snow - I've gotten most of my shopping done, as well ... started in October.

Eric - I hear ya, but sometimes you get swept up in the "bargains."

FM - Maybe we've just become more "responsible" or something. Retail is a bad word in my book!

Kristin - Others seem to be in agreement with you.

IAM - I probably buy too much for my friends ... not that I need to.

Jeff - See, Al Gore was good for something!

Smokin' - I saw you in action a week ago at DSW.

Anonymous said...

God bless the internet and me not having to deal with idiots. Amen.

Anonymous said...

HATE

HATE

HATE

the malls. People everywhere, no one walking on the correct side, the "flow" of people always coming at me...

~small panic attack~

The smell of 25 different foods all at once in "the food court"
~shivers~

Did I mention the people, (stupid people) with strollers, walkers adn 10 kids all on dog leashes?!?!?!

HATE THE MALL!