Wednesday, November 29, 2006

3 More Days ...

My days are winding down at Lockheed, and while I won’t miss the monotonous work that I was “in charge of,” I will dearly miss my coworkers/friends who I’ve had the fortune of clowning around with over the past few years. Reverse, Ink, JoeP and –B- always helped to make coming to work worthwhile, even if we didn’t exactly love our jobs. One would never know what was in store – whether it was throwing the football around outside during our “smoke breaks,” or going to the Moorestown mall to catch a movie during a long lunch break. These are the things I’ll miss dearly. My hope is that I’ll find coworkers at Vanguard that are half as fun/funny as these guys, because I know I’ll never be able to replace them.

Another hope of mine is that my new employer, Vanguard, will be my employer for an extended period of time – possibly the rest of my career. I had hoped this was the case with Lockheed as well, but it becomes obvious that if you don’t have a military background, it is darn near impossible to move up in the company, no matter how valued an employee you are.

I am excited, but at the same time nervous about this new opportunity. I know deep down that I’ll be fine, but anytime you go through a change this big, you worry. I’m leaving a position that I had grown accustomed to. I knew what was expected of me, and I knew that I could easily meet those expectations. I knew what I could expect from coworkers, and I knew the “loop-holes” in the department. Now, much like Henry Hudson and Lewis and Clarke, I will be entering a world of unknowns.

I’ve switched jobs a few times before, and each time, I had this uncertainty … but each time, I’ve done pretty well for myself. It has always been a goal of mine, no matter where I was employed, to become a valued and trusted employee – and so far, I’ve done pretty well with that, I think. As I move on to Vanguard, I know that with time, I’ll once again be in that position, but I know that I will have to work hard to get there.

Sorry for the “not funny” blog – just felt I needed to say something about this.

12 comments:

ToddPacker said...

good luck with the new jobby...it sounds like some reduced blogging time over the next few weeks.

El Padrino said...

good luck with that

Los said...

Jeff - I hear ya. Thanks
Todd - Probably initially. We'll see what I can get away with.
ELP - You da man!

The Rev said...

Why are you apologizing for the not funny blog today?

Shouldn't you have apologized for all of the previous posts that weren't funny too?

Hey-oh!

Fairmaiden327 said...

You don't have to be ON for any of us, blogging serves the exact purpose you just wrote about. You will find nice people and form bonds with them. This is a great move. Wishing you luck and a smooth transition. Email or chat here about anything you're unsure about.

Fairmaiden327 said...

Rev.: HAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Los said...

Rev - No, YOU'RE not funny.

FM - Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Ink and Stone said...

There's alway uncertainty when moving on to a new job, bro.
Just swing with it.

And remember, Los, if Vanguard doesn't work out, you can always come back to LM. *snortle*

And our times of goofing off are not done yet! We'll just have to goof off cross-company style!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Los. New job, new challenges...keep positive.

The Rev said...

No... YOU'RE not funny.

So, are we going to the soccer game Saturday or what?

Anonymous said...

Los you will LOVE Vanguard. They were one of my biggest (bread and butter) accounts here in Scottsdale! YOu will fit in just fine.
Laughs...
Be sure to wear that Mex-tex hat of yours and they will quickly see what we all know! YOU ARE FAB BABY!!!!

-B- said...

I agree with what Ink said - we will always find a way to goof off, we're quite good at it.
Los, you will definately be missed here, you're impossible to replace!
Just keep the blogs rollin' and e-mails n' such. We'll also keep tuning in to the Los and Smoke podcast. Best of luck, buddy. Enjoy the ham.