Sunday, March 25, 2007

And the Hits Keep Comin' ...

So, I was having trouble coming up with something to blog about today, when it hit me … literally!

What started out as a pretty good weekend, came crashing down in the Kohls’ parking lot on Sunday afternoon. My wife and I spent Sunday doing some shopping, going to places like Linens and Things, Marshalls, Bed Bath and Beyond, prior to reaching the “climactic” destination. Yes, some may say I was getting in touch with my “feminine” side, and that’s o.k. I don’t mind shopping with my wife every once in a while. However, in hindsight, I probably should’ve just stayed home.

As we were leaving the Kohls parking lot, I noticed a black 1970 Chevelle (another reason for me to hate Chevy now) flying into the parking lot, apparently not noticing the smoke-gray 2005 Nissan Altima that was pulling out. It wasn’t even a contest – the Chevelle smeared the rear driver’s side door, and took off the back panel and bumper for good measure. The Chevelle had a few scratches on the bumper, but outside of that ,was in pristine condition.

The culprits? Two 16-year-old girls who apparently couldn’t wait to dive into the savings offered at Kohls. They were a little shaken up emotionally, and for good reason. This is probably going to raise their insurance rates a decent chunk. We called the cops, and the young driver called her dad. The dad showed up first – he surveyed the accident, and give me his insurance information. As an aside, he used to work for an Auto Body company, and gave me the info and suggested I take my car there. Additionally, he has his own home improvement company (self employed), and I got his card, so maybe he’ll offer me a good rate if I ever need my attic or bathroom done.

What sucks is that nobody is available at my insurance company until 8:00 a.m. tomorrow, which means that I’ll be late for work … hopefully, that is all I’ll have to deal with. What a way to end the weekend … at least nobody was hurt, so I guess it could’ve been worse.

8 comments:

The Rev said...

Holy shit!

I'm just glad you two aren't hurt.

If you need to rent a car, I recommend Enterprise. They've always treated me well. And hopefully your insurance covers a rental.

snowelf said...

Wow...

Also glad you weren't hurt!! What a pain in the ass though.

Some friends and I were rear ended by two 16 year olds who had skipped school and "stole" their mother's car once. Oops!

Hope everything goes smoothly, Los!

--snow

Steph said...

You were very lucky. Count your blessings.

Ink and Stone said...

Good to hear you and your old lady weren't hurt, holmes.

And don't worry, the accident's not your fault, so the Altima will rise again!

Superstar said...

Thank goodness niether of you were hurt!
OH
OH
OH! Contest..Can you take a picture? Then let us all guess how much the cost of the repair will be???
I am guessing based on the sound...without a picture... about $5K to $6K...just by description...

Kristin said...

Totally try and get a kitchen remodel out of it...

I'm glad you're ok.

minijonb said...

wow... that'll teach you to get in touch with your "feminine" side... nothing good can come from that.

=;-)

Los said...

Rev - I got a rental through the auto body shop.

Snow Elf - Definitely an inconvenience ... just what I didn't need.

Steph - It definitely could've been worse, no doubt.

Ink - Smokey will be fine, I'm sure.

Sup - I did take some pics - I'll try and post.

Kristin - Actually, if we could get some money out of it, that would be way cool.

Mini - Yeah - I gotta stop touching my feminine side.