Monday, April 24, 2006

Suggestions and Stuff

1. Current Song in My Head – “Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo” by The Bloodhound Gang. If you haven’t heard this song yet, (A) you probably live in Philly (music selection is about as good as its clean waters), or (B) you just don’t like new music and prefer listening to Lynard Skynard on your stylish Sylvania Eight-Track. The song is as catchy as it is raunchy/funny. Once you hear it, it sticks in you head, but please don’t sing the lyrics out loud at work – you might get a sexual harassment warning.

2. Current CD in My Car – This is tricky because I have a 6-cd changer. But, the one I’ve been listening to the most is “Senior Smoke” by Electric Six. These guys do an interesting weave of heavy metal and disco, and successfully accomplish the meshing of said genres. The lyrics are often times funny, but sometimes very cryptic. The guitar riffs seem familiar but add their own unique qualities. The rhythms are without a doubt toe-tappingly good. I highly recommend them.

3. Latest Movie I’ve Seen – Scary Movie 4 (I guess that is no shock if you know anything about my taste in movies). While not nearly as innovative and funny as previous Zucker brother movies like Airplane, Top Secret, and Naked Gun, it still is a very solid movie. The movie does a decent job of spoofing such movies as Brokeback Mountain, The Village, The War of the Worlds, and Million Dollar Baby, while also taking funny cracks at our President and the armed forces in a tasteful (un-Wayans-like) manner.

4. Favorite New Drink – Since we are rapidly approaching summer, it might be time to add something a little sweet (no, not me) to the drink menu. Sue and I went to A.C. a few weekends ago, and when we asked for a suggestion of something to drink from the bartender at the Martini Bar in Bally’s, he said that the hot-new martini (no, I’m not gay) is the watermelon martini. He was even nice enough to give us the recipe – now you can make this as strong or weak as you want. He said to use Grey Goose vodka, Watermelon Pucker (you can find this at the liquor store), and a dash of Southern comfort. We made a few at home, and they were delicious.

5. Favorite New Restaurant – Now, I’d prefer to use a different one than one of the chains, but we haven’t gone out to too many in the recent past. We took my parents out to one about a month or two ago, and I gotta tell ya, it was really pretty good. The restaurant is Charlie Brown’s, and the closest one to me is in Springfield. The prices are very reasonable, and the cuts of steak (at least my cut of steak) was really good. Plus, they have a great salad bar, and drink specials every Thursday. I’m not saying this is the quality of a “top-of-the-line” steak restaurant, but for the price, it is very, very good.

2 comments:

The Rev said...

I enjoyed my Charlie Brown's experience. Not the best steak in the world, but very good for the price. Getting a 10 oz prime rib for 11.99 ain't too shabby. Not the best salad bar I've been to (that goes to Stanley's in Wilmington), but again very good.

Ken said...

Steve you should have got the horseradish crusted steak. It's the Baumb!