Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Thank Goodness, the Show is Back

Oh, thank goodness – American Idol is back for another season, and we are now going to see and hear American Idol stories everywhere – newspapers, radio, tv, computers … UGH! To me, this show is a pile of dog-crap. I mean, hey, I understand that many of these people are talented, and have fantastic singing voices, but beyond that, I have no other respect for this show.

I know I’ve talked about this before, and I really shouldn’t care at all, because in all fairness, there are a lot more tv channels I can watch, but for some reason this gets under my skin. Basically, what is happening is that FOX is using an assembly line approach with music, and mass producing, mass marketing, and mass selling it to us. The real problem is that this formula has produced a rabid following of fans.

I mean, I guess it is better (or is it) than when ABC had a show in which they were attempting to build the next boy band. I guess I’m really miffed because all that these “idols” do is sing (and yes, I know that is a lot, and they have a lot more talent than I do) other people’s songs. I mean, I would be much more impressed and willing to watch them if they showed off their own songs that THEY created from scratch ALL BY THEMSELVES … but, I guess that’s why I’m here complaining about American Idol, and that’s why they are their making tons of money … sigh.

I guess if Beethoven was around, he’d probably complain about the rock music I’m listening to … yeah, that’s right. I’m comparing myself to Beethoven, got a problem with that?

12 comments:

Mama en Fuego said...

You're just pissed cuz Simon totally bagged on your punk version of YMCA...

Eric said...

I don't really have a problem with American Idol, I have a problem with it's popularity. American Idol, Survivor, and few other shows came around a couple of years ago and now TV is bombarded with awful, awful copycats. I feel like TV is slowly (starting with this most recent TV season) trending back to actual TV shows. But it was a dismal few years there were all you got were horrible reality shows, and its American Idols fault.

Kristin said...

I have never quite understood the appeal of American Idol... other than Kelly Clarkson, I would be hard pressed to tell you just who the winners of the past bazillion season are...

I do however, have to cop to liking, Rockstar... both Supernova and INXS.

*ducks*

Fairmaiden327 said...

Stopping by to say hi. I love that show. I can't help it. This is the year I judge people. Hate on.

Jeff said...

Thank Goodness, the Show is Back.

The show is 24.

Superstar said...

1. the only "entertainment value" in watching the show is the first when they show the truely (chaulk board scrapping) retard/rejects there are. These are the people that make me ROLL OVER LAUGHING to the point of snorting then hacking coughing!!!
2. I hate that they have an age limit. WTF like just because I am older than 28 I can't sing? WHAT???
3. This is season 6 so there have been 5 other seasons.
4. I LOVE when Simon calls peeps out. I don't think he is any more cruel than any "producer" is.
5. The show is for RATINGs and therefore PRODUCED and those of you who think that YOU are voting for "THE next American Idol" are completly SNOWED.

This is why I will be watching the show...LOL ;o)

OH LOS I know you dislike Country but Nashville Star on USA. That is a TALENT singing show. The contestance know singing and or play while singing, and have written their own music. In fact it is part of the auditions. (personal experience) I had to sing a song from a list w/out any music, then if advanced with a group, then a song you and or combo had written...Amazing process. I had to drop out 1/2 way thru try-outs, due to dates and scheduling issues.

Los said...

DB - Actually, it was a punk version of It's Raining Men.

Eric - I look forward to more tv shows and less reality shows.

Kristin - I would much rathe4r watch Rockstar ... however Idol has ruined it for other reality shows.

FM - I hope this "illness" leaves you soon. Hate on!!!!

Jeff - I'm excited about 24, although it will be going up against another one of my favorites - Heroes.

Superstar - If only I even liked country music a little bit ...

mollymcmo said...

i like AI, although i have to admit in no way does the music compare to Rockstar INXS and supernova, now that was music :)

m

Steph said...

I agree 100%. I still watch the shite though. Sad, I know.

Christina_the_wench said...

I'm judging people right alongside Maiden. Be warned...

I like making fun of the losers before they get the top 25...12...5...etc.

The Rev said...

Katherine McPhee was hot.

But she hasn't done anything with her new found fame.

snowelf said...

I'm in the same opinion with Eric. A little is okay, but there are so many stupid reality shows now...like Wife Swap. That show makes me want to squirt soap in my eyes!

I watch AI, but mostly only once the competition starts and not always religiously. I could care less for the auditions, the idiots with attitudes, and Ryan Seacrest's poorly written non-witty banter. And I still think Kelly Clarkson is the best idol they've passed through so far. I so wanted Chris to win last year, but he'll probably do better on his own anyway.

--snow