Thursday, February 01, 2007

Cut That Meat!!!!

This Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday, probably the biggest sporting event of the year in the States. It doesn’t have as rich of a history as baseball’s World Series, the trophy isn’t really as cool as the Stanley Cup, and quite truthfully, the sport’s all-star game is probably the worst of the big 4. But still, in a relatively short amount of time, the NFL has been able to put together one of the greatest sporting, drinking, and gambling (not to mention advertising) events this world has ever seen.

The first Super Bowl I remember watching was the last Super Bowl of the Steelers’ dynasty. They played Vince Feragamo and the Los Angeles Rams (yes, folks, there was a football team in LA at one time … two, actually). I remember being in awe of the magnitude of the game, and excited for each successive play. I have to say that I was not rooting for the Steelers that day, mainly because I thought the Rams had cooler helmets (at the time, this is how I decided who I liked).

Unfortunately, the Rams won, which basically triggered my “bad luck” in picking the team that I thought (or hoped) would win the Super Bowl. The following year, it was my Eagles that were forced to take a butt-kicking, the following year, the Bengals took it up the arse (yes, I rooted for the team with the “interesting” new helmets). And so it went – a few times, I was lucky enough to pick the right team, like when the Raiders whalloped the Redskins in the early 80’s. But, more often than not, I picked the loser. Yep, I rooted for all of John Elway’s disappointing Broncos teams, and I was really hoping that Marv Levy’s Bills would find a way to knock off one of those teams in that traumatic 4-year run.

So, who am I rooting for this year? Get ready to call your bookies – I’m going with the Colts. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the Bears – in fact, with the exception of that ass-clown Tank Johnson, the Bears are a team that one could easily like. But, I REALLY want Tony Dungy to win one – I think he has been through enough heart-aches in his coaching career (and his life in general), that he deserves this. Plus, I’ve always liked Peyton Manning’s game (consequently, I HATE Eli Manning after what he did to the Bolts). Your money is probably safe with the Bears because of this … you probably don’t even need the points.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm rooting for some idiot reporter to ask either coach the Doug Williams Question.

If you don't follow football, Doug Williams was the first black QB ever to play in a Super Bowl (and won game MVP that year). Some moron reporter actually asked him, "How long have you been a black quarterback?"

Ink and Stone said...

"How long have you been a black quarterback?" AHAHahhahahahahaaa.

Los, don't forget your high blood pressure medicine this weekend! You want to know who's really going to win??? All the teams that didn't play! Hey, they've got the day off. Sounds like a win to me!

The Rev said...

"Unfortunately, the Rams won"

Oops... no they didn't. Typo.

Eric said...

Oh, Doug Williams. The first Super Bowl I remember watching is when Doug Williams and the 'Skins torched Denver for 35 in the second quarter when I was 6. Needless to say I've been a Redskins fan ever since.

Superstar said...

I am hoping for a big tado about the 1/2 time show...Maybe we can get lucky and have another...*gasps* "Staged malfunction"
he he he he hehe
*snort*
I damn I snorted again!

Steph said...

They even show that game down here!
Weird looking sport if you ask me.

Los said...

Jeff - Media day should be canceled ...

Ink - Of course, the teams that do play get BIG bonuses ...

Rev - whoops!

Eric - The Redskins have a moron as an owner.

Superstar - That was the only redeeming quality of that halftime show ...

Steph - Yeah, it's weird if you don't watch it ... like Australian Rules Football used to be for me (I understand it now).

Ken said...

Looks like your lucks a changing; 1st you got out of IMDG, next Tony Dungy wins the big game, what can the great LOS predict next (see Office Clowning)?