Thursday, June 28, 2007

Is There Hope?

We have a promising “new’ radio station in Philadelphia – 104.5, which now has a modern rock/alternative format, finally filling the vacuum that Y-100 created when it switched formats 2+ years ago. I’m excited about this, but in the long run, I know it will fail. How? Let me count the ways.

First, and most importantly, the station is part of Clear Channel, the mega-company that has largely been responsible for the decline of terrestrial radio. They bought up tons of radio stations nationwide in the late 90’s and early 2000’s, and basically tried to create vanilla formats that they hoped everyone would listen to. Creativity was for all intensive purposes thrown out the window. We began hearing the same few bands playing the same few songs. Clear Channel ended up hurting itself, as it invested so much money in doing this, that when the backlash happened, the stations were practically worthless. (not to mention the whole Howard Stern debacle). They tried selling a bunch off, and I think they still are.

Another reason this won’t last in Philly is because any radio station that tries something new and makes a niche for themselves, ends up refusing to get creative. Case and point – we had an 80’s station here a few years ago, and it was cool hearing those songs again. However, this station had a very narrow playlist that consisted only of top 10 hits. People got bored with the music. I e-mailed the program director, foreshadowing this, and offering suggestions like having “Freestyle-Fridays,” or “80’s rap night,” or even trying to rediscover forgotten 80’s classics. I received an e-mail back from the program director thanking me for my input, but assuring me that they knew what they were doing … it didn’t take long for them to change formats. I fear the same issue will happen to 104.5 – I’ve already noticed that they repeat songs far too often.

104.5 also seems to be playing far too much emo-music (look it up), relying on bands like AFI, Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance, and Taking Back Sunday, Breaking Benjamin, and Jimmy Eat World … the sound of these bands is far too overproduced and quite frankly, far to similar to each other. My hope is that they’ll discover other sounds and rely less on emo … and yes, I’ve e-mailed them about this as well.

At least we have modern rock in Philly again. I should stop complaining and enjoy it … while it lasts.

11 comments:

Robert Ward said...

Im telling you. I got satelite radio and I am not looking back....

Crassius Maximus said...

Sounds alot like Dallas radio. We used to have a radio station that played Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots AND Led Zepplin. Dallas FM radio is the absolute worst in the country, hands down.

Crassius Maximus said...

Now, you have to sit through 5 sucky songs to get to one Pearl Jam song, or 4 Kansas tunes to get a Hendrix fix. Dallas FM radio blows. Except for Reggaton, which we have about 4 of those stations.

Art_Fulldodger said...

Detroit has probably 3-4 rock alternative stations right now. Then add in the Canadian stations that only play Canadian Artist rock??? and we are swimming in stations

snowelf said...

we have one station here that I love... but the rest are all that same cookie cutter crap...

One more week and I'm getting an iPod! Thank GOD.
And I love satellite radio. Los, you really should check it out.

--snow

-B- said...

Sometimes I think about getting satellite radio.... any mood you're in, there's a channel to turn to! Also - I would probably have it on the stand-up comedy channels a lot too. I still find it wierd to pay a monthly fee for radio.

El Padrino said...

radio sucks period

pony up, get an ipod, download your own music so no one can tell you what to listen too

stop being a sheep LOS!

Superstar said...

~rolls yes~ I knew it couldn't be good from the words "clear Channel"

Nuff said right?!?!?!?

*sigh*

Remember when the DJ actually made or broke an up and coming artist?@?@?@ The day of Johnny cash, Loretta Lynn, Elvis and touring mattered?!?!?!

Jeff said...

What Philly radio desperately needs is one really bad Mexican station -- every song featuring an accordian -- for comic relief.

The dozen or so really bad Mexican stations in San Antonio (Clear Channel HQ) really helps overcome the poor rock stations.

And Philly does need the comic relief.

Los said...

Robert - I've begun looking in to getting Sirius ... waiting for a good deal on the package.

Crass - I think Philly radio is the worst ... how can we test this?

Rainman - This might make me move to Detroit.

SnowElf - I have an IPod - the sad thing is I don't have an MP3 jack in my car.

B - I have the Roku, and it's cool and all, but I need more choices in my car.

Superstar - Clear Channel = Satan.

Jeff - I noticed a lot of Mexican stations in San Fran ... It was surprisingly hard to find a good station there.

Jeff said...

I can help with the Dallas vs. Philly radio test. I've lived in Philly for over a decade and have spent extended periods in DFW on business.

Dallas radio can reduce you to a puddle of drool. But Philly radio stations keep hiring Barsky. Case closed.