Sunday, October 26, 2008

Odds and Ends

A little quiz for you:

1. Los has been far too busy doing which of the following this weekend?
A. Cleaning and priming his basement.
B. Cheering on his sports teams (Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, and Penn State).
C. Drinking too much whilst cheering on his sports teams.
D. All of the above.

If you guessed D, well, consider yourself (a) lucky, or (b) familiar with the man they call Los. Schue and I primed the basement Saturday, and after two coats of primer, it looks pretty darn good. We still have a little ways to go, but it's starting to come together. Next, up - painting, then framing - drywalling - spackling - sanding - priming - and painting the back area ... then, getting woodwork for the floors and ceiling, then building a bench/storage unit/entertainment "center" for the flatscreen (that we still haven't purchased) ... then, probably working on the ceiling and getting new lighting ... ugh - that's still a lot of work ... my head's starting to hurt again.

So, we Philadelphians usually don't have too much to cheer about when it comes to our sports teams, but that "could" possibly change ... well, maybe. The Phils have jumped out to a 2-1 lead in the World Series against the Rays, even though they really haven't played all that well. The last time the Phils were in the World Series, I was a senior in college ... and the last time they won a World Series, I was in 2nd grade ... yeah, it's been a while. I really have no idea how I'd react if they somehow found a way to win - I mean, I'm so used to sulking after watching my team(s) choke in a playoff or championship game ...

How 'bout them Nittany Lions? Big win last night against a really good Ohio State team in the big horseshoe ... JoePa's boys didn't quite show the offensive firepower that they displayed all seaons, but they did demonstrate a grittiness to overcome tremendous odds ... now, they're squarely in the title picture, and have to root for teams playing Texas and Alabama from week to week. I think if JoePa wins a national championship, he'll finally retire ... even if that "good-ol' boy" down in Florida State keeps coaching those Criminals ... er, I mean Seminoles.

Hey, even the Eagles won today ... sure, they looked as sloppy as they always do, but a win is a win ... and with all the other NFC East teams showing weaknesses, who knows what will happen.

The only downer at this point is that tomorrow is Monday ... sigh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That exhausted me just reading it... here's to a restful week! :-)

Ken said...

I went to see "The Who" last night. They were fantastic; it just went by to fast. I would put them in my top four bands of all time (along with The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam.)

Traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I tailgated from 5pm - 8pm, between Lincoln Financial field and Citizens Bank Park. Some of the best tailgating I’ve ever been apart of.

After the concert, we tried to get into Mcfaddens, but were denied without a ticket stub. We watched the last three innings from a tailgater who had an HDTV antenna. After the fireworks we bolted back to NJ.

Over all (from what I remember) fantastic night. Go Phillies!

Sandi said...

I am soooo excited about Penn State this year.

El Padrino said...

hope your basement burns down

cheers from NY!

Angie said...

Can say about the basement but the others I will put a check next to it.. But you know me by now, follow my Steelers and Pens... I did watch the game Saturday night with Penn State And Ohio State... not much into the baseball but hey I will cheer on philly if you like...
I agree also, a win is a win but I can't say that for my black and gold this past Sunday... it was painful to watch!!! our place kicker, out punter ( the punter who replaced the orginal punter and Clark.. ) more injuries... wow!!! words cannot express

scargosun said...

Looks like we had the same weekend. Go see my post about that article in the St Petersberg Times.

Jeff said...

Monday's no downer -- it's (hopefully) World Series title day!

Is it just me, or does "the horseshoe" more closely resemble "the toilet seat"?

Heff said...

Primering, Painting, and most other home improvement tasks ALL go easier with beer.