Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Weekly Assignment

Mama Kat, you've probably opened up a pandora's box with your latest list of questions. The one that intrigued me most is - Describe a typical day during your Jr. High years. Some of my greatest stories (at least funniest) come from my high school years, fromthe trials and tribulations I had with my girlfriend freshman year to the New Years Eve party where I threw up all over myself ... there's a ton of outrageous stories ... but a normal day for me? Hmmmm...

Every morning, I would wake up to the smell of coffee and eggs ... that's right, most normal kids probably ate cereal or pop tarts before going to school ... for some reason, my mom would cook me eggs and make me coffee EVERY ... SINGLE ... DAY! I guess there's something to be said about breakfast (isn't it the most important meal of the day?), but eggs every morning is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

I would then get ready "hygenically" ... you know, showering, brushing teeth, deoderant ... pretending to shave, put on some of my "cool" school clothes ... Well, as cool as I could get at least ... remember, my mom would somehow find sneakers for me at the grocery store ... BROWN SNEAKERS! Even with this seeming disadvantage, I would find cool clothes to wear ... or at least semi-cool.

Remember, at this point I was trying to impress the ladies ... the truth of the matter is that going through adolescence, it was hard (no pun intended) to concentrate on school work ... I would sit through class after class trying to pay attention to the teacher ... when in all reality, I was more interested in the girl 3 rows over playing with her gum ... or the girl 5 rows up brushing her hair ... you get the idea.

Lunch time couldn't get here quick enough ... I was long past the age of packing my own lunch ... which meant I was stuck with cafeteria food ... Junior year, our school came up with a wonderful (not healthy) idea - a cafeteria line that served nothing but cheeseburgers, cheese-steaks, and french fries ... a dream come true for me. No longer did I have to settle with school pizza, or hot dogs and baked beans, or god forbid, meatloaf!

The afternoon went by much like the morning did - let's see if I can impress the ladies with my awful humor ... Of course, in the afternoon, I had one eye on the clock ... couldn't wait for class to end ... in the fall, I was playing soccer, which was a good stress relief for me. When I wasn't playing sports for my high school, I was probably playing sports at home with my goofy friends - whether it was street hockey, bounce ball, or tackle football, we were always outside.

After dinner, I would spend about 30-45 seconds doing homework, so that I could focus on more important tasks, like playing video games ... at the time, it was Commodore 64 ... god, I miss trading copy disks and games with the other nerds in high school ... I probably had about 3,000 games for my Commodore ... I couldn't get enough ... I swore that this was the apex of gaming ... of course I was wrong.

After all this was over, I'd lay down, watch some tv, and then fall asleep ... preparing myself to do it all over again the next day ... why do I miss those days?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! We all miss those days for one reason... no responsibility! Ah the sweet naivete!

Love the Commodore 64, my brother had one... I still remember the code Go 64!

Stu Pidasso said...

I can remember when Bill Gates said we would never need more than 64K of memory. Whatever!! I had some pretty zany stories from back then, maybe another day. GB!

Stu Pidasso said...

good post too!! Typical teenager thinking of the"opposites" in school.

Sometimes Sophia said...

Great post. Middle school is all about hormones, isn't it? Awkward... embarrassing... obsessed... so much fun.

A Commodore 64 got me hooked on Tetris. Was that 1985?

scargosun said...

Sigh, the typical days of school had me in a uniform (no cool school clothes).

schue said...

honey - you do the same thing now, minus the homework.

Heff said...

Eggs & bacon every morning ? Hell, I could die happy...

Melissa said...

Those were the good days....chasing girls and no worries, right?? My son is this age and I'm constantly worried about what he'll be coming up with next...and worry even more about when he'll "experiment with himself"....Y-I-K-E-S

Momma Trish said...

Junior high sounds like it was some fun for you. That's good. Glad you have some good memories of it! You sure must have gotten tired of the eggs. LOL!!

Ashley said...

I agree with Alaina - we miss those days for the lack of responsibility that we thought we had.
Thank you for giving me a perspective into the male mind. It was as simple as I thought =] Joking!

KatBouska said...

Why do you MISS them!?! Because they were FUN! No responsibilities...no jobs...no baby mama drama...just lunch and sports and tv.

nice.

Rhonda said...

So, it seems that boys aren't all that much different from girls. Only you guys seemed to make oh so cool look effortless. While we spent hours on hair and make-up and just the right clothes!! Actually, we did all that so the other be-otches wouldn't ridicule us. You guys probably wouldn't have cared one way or the other. lol

Superstar said...

i would give anything to be a dork again, just to have those lazy days!!! No presure about a JOB and BILLS...LOL

I want pics of the "cool" los!!!

Crassius Maximus said...

Trolling, gaming and playing ball.

Jeff said...

Subtract homework, add beer. Otherwise, sounds about the same. So exactly what do you miss?