Thursday, October 23, 2008

Weekly Assignment

Mama Kat got our assignment to us early ... isn't she great? Interesting set of choices this week - I decided to go with this one: 1.) Complete the sentence "I'd walk a mile for a ________." and continue writing about it.

I'd walk a mile for a $300 million dollar lottery ticket ... actually, I'd probably walk 100 miles for that one. It would seemingly make life so much easier, ESPECIALLY if no announcement was made that I actually won it. There are a lot of low lifes out there who prey on lottery winners ... it's sad, but true. Sure, they'll do some obvious and blatant things like stealing from you, or threatening your family for money ... but there are others who try to "sell" you on can't miss opportunities ... all of them missing like a Philadelphia team in a championship game (hey-yo). If I can avoid all of that, that would be sweet.

Obviously, I'd give some money to charity - probably the Leukemia Society (I worked there before), and maybe to Penn State (my alma mater), and of course my church ... I'd also share some of the money with friends and family ... after all, it wouldn't be much fun if those guys and gals weren't there to help me enjoy it.

I'd also make sure I'd invest the money so I could continue living the "extravagent" lifestyle ... you know, lots of video games and big screen tv's, maybe a virtual golf system ... you know, typical guy stuff! Again, I'd have to make sure the investment advice was smart.

One thing I'd make sure of - I would NOT spend uncontrollably like some of these other lottery winners you hear do - you know, the ones that find themselves broke 5 years after winning a big jackpot. Or, like those athletes who insist on having 7 Bentleys, and a Posse bigger than an NBA team ... ridiculous. I think I'm much more grounded than that.

Anyway, there I go daydreaming again ... sigh.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* my favorite pastime... to dream of spending lottery money.

Guess I should buy a ticket if I plan to win though.

snowelf said...

Hey! You could even get a waterless urinal! :D

--snow

Melissa said...

hmmmm... I didn't even think of that one. I was in your daydream too for a bit, except without the video games and virtual golf.

Michelle said...

You do sound very grounded......you also sound like the kind of blogger that if you won the lottery that you would have daily give aways! Hmm, maybe I should start hanging out here more often. :)

Carrin said...

First of all, Can we be friends? That way I could share a little bit of your winnings. You'd like me I promise!
My guy and I talk a lot about how we would spend our lottery winnings. Of course, we don't play but if we did, we sure know how to spend it!

Denise said...

Oh...the dream of winning the lottery! I want to win the lottery too! Want to make a pact? If you get your winnings you'll share and if I do I'll share??? :) I think it's a good deal! :)

Weeksie50 said...

I watched a show the other day about people spending all theri money quickly.. I think that is nuts. How can does this happen. Ugh.

Sometimes Sophia said...

I agree... it would be great to have enough money to give to others as generously as you might want. To make a real difference. Thoughtful blog... I enjoyed it much.

Malnurtured Snay said...

I dunno ... I'd only walk the 100 miles if I was actually going to WIN.

The Rev said...

Oh come on...

You'd buy at least three Bentley's at least.

Jeff said...

If you won $100M, you might -- possibly -- have enough to cover your tax bill.

If tax sheltered, you could buy a kegerator roughly the size of Sea World. (This doubles as "sharing with family and friends.")

You might also buy a legislator.

Gwen said...

To have the money and crawling out of the woodwork would be awful. That would be my fear with winning. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you win one day though. Maybe you could throw a $10 back my way then. :)

Angie said...

Favorite past time... where do I begin?

Maki said...

I think I'd walk for the $300 million lotto ticket. Is it my imagination that everytime I hear the news of people winning huge amount of lottos are nice old folks who wouldn't know what to do with the money?

I enjoyed your post - thank you:D

El Padrino said...

mo money mo problems

KatBouska said...

I was JUST daydreaming about that today. And how if I won loads of money I would SO quit my job and just take care of my own kids.

What if we DIDN'T share our money with our friends and family...and they were like really struggling to meet ends meet and we were all "you might lose your HOUSE?? Dang. That sucks"...how much would they hate us. :)

Sigh.

Ok that's enough. Good work Los. :)

KatBouska said...

ps you have no idea how much it disapoints me that your name is not really Los.

Kristin said...

I have to confess to be willing to do quite a bit more than just "walk a mile" for a 300 million dollar lottery ticket.