Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Fast Food Corner
I am blessed to live near Philadelphia ... and, no, it's obviously not because of the mostly inept sports teams that call the City of Brotherly Love home. Actually, it's really because of cheese-steaks! People outside of Philly can't understand all the hub-bub (yeah, I went with that word) over cheese-steaks, and there's one major reason - PHILLY ROLLS!
You HAVE to use the right roll when making a cheese-steak - it's probably the most overlooked item in the making of a cheese-steak - and that's really the main reason why these "Philly Cheese-steak" joints outside of Philadelphia don't measure up. Seriously, the other ingredients are important - you need a high quality beef, good cheese, perfectly sauteed onions, but if you fail to use a good roll, you will fail.
If you ever visit Philly, you HAVE to get a cheese-steak, and here are just a few of the fine restaurants in Philly that serve fantastic ones (in no particular order):
1. Pat's - probably the most famous of the cheese-steak franchises, this sits in the heart of South Philly on 9th and Passyunk, complete with gaudy neon lights, and beef that is chopped finely. Can't go wrong here.
2. Geno's - A close (and not so friendly) neighbor of Pat's - steak that is not chopped, but tastes fantastic. Most Philadelphians say you either love Geno's or Pat's, but you can't love both. I say, bull!
3. Jim's - This restaurant is conveniently located on South Street. Generous portions of steak, and a 2nd floor that provides a great view of South Street. Lot's of pics of famous people too.
4. Ishkabibles is also located on South Street, and has good cheese-steaks. They also have really good fries and wings ... in case you aren't in the mood for cheese-steaks ... for some weird reason.
5. Leo's - This one's not in the city. Actually, it's located in Sharon Hill ... but, it's one of the best in the area.... large amounts of beef, great rolls, and local (for me).