Sunday, May 03, 2009

Song of the Week

I like the Beatles ... I'm guessing most people have at least a little bit of love for the Fab 4, right? I mean, I'm not crazy about them, but I like their music ... usually in smaller doses. However, there is a song of theirs that I can't get enough of - and no, it's not really a "manly" song (which means, Paul must've written it). Everytime I hear it, a chill runs down my spine - there aren't really that many songs that can do that to me.

I'm talking about "The Long and Winding Road." I'm sure McCartney probably was talking, at least partially, about the imminent end of the Beatles, but it always reminds me of past "loves," and the unwillingness (or maybe, the inability) to truly give them up.

The music itself is hauntingly beautiful - violins, opera-style voices, and other instruments weaving together marvelously throughout the background of the song, building to an inspiring climax (hey-yo). It's a song that was made for McCartney's voice, and probably couldn't ever be properly covered (with the exception of the late Roy Orbison).

In my opinion, it would have to be in the top 10 greatest "slow songs" of all time, and an argument could be made for it being the greatest ... again, just my opinion.

You can read more about the song here:

6 comments:

sirgeb said...

This song was arranged by Phil Spector, and is much different than the version found on Let it Be Naked (supposedly the way the Beatles wanted the song to sound).

Is it possible that you only like this song because of Spector's production?

snowelf said...

I don't even know if I know that song...although I am not a huge Beatles maniac or anything, but I do like the happy ones--When I'm 64 is pretty catchy. (At least I think that's the Beatles?)

--snow

Lisa said...

Yeah, the beatle bug never bit me, but I agree there are a handful of tunes that I really like. TLAWR is one of them, and I always get sucked into a screaming rendition of "Jude-y Judy judyjudyjudy." Which always made me wonder, why didn't they just name it "Hey Judy?" .... babspeapod

Ink and Stone said...

I never really got into the Beatles. I like some of their songs, but eh, whatever.

Heff said...

Come Together and Revolution are the only ones I can really tolerate.

-B- said...

Great choice Los - I like that one too. Since we're talking about our less-manly favorite Beatles songs (and there aren't many manly ones!! lol)- I have always loved "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun". I think they both were written by George, but if there had to be a "perfect song list", I would probably put one of those two into it.
Topic for another time?