Friday, September 18, 2009

Song of the Week


I stumbled across this band whilst listening to the Slacker (by the way, if you don't have a Slacker, or use the software on either your computer or your smart-phone, you don't know what you're missing. Anyway, the band is named "The Whigs." I like this name ... probably because one of my all-time favorite bands was called "The Afghan Whigs." The Whigs really don't sound much like the Afghan Whigs - they are more along the lines of Franz Ferdinand, The Bravery, and The Killers - you know, newish alt-rock.

They have many addicting songs, lots of great hooks, and just fun-sounding music. Traditional 60's era drum sounds, simplistic, yet catchy. It really doesn't matter how simple or complex it is, as long as it's good. Anyway, the song I can't get out of my head is their song "I Never Want to Go Home." It can't be found on either of their two albums, but can be downloaded. I highly recommend it. You can sample it here.

The story surrounding this band is really interesting, especially how they created their first album. If you want to read more, go here.

No comments: