Monday, May 01, 2006

Infomercial-a-holic

My name is Los, and I have a problem. As some of you know, I easily get sucked into infomercials. More accurately stated, some people like to get high on drugs … I like to get high on infomercials. It’s true. I can’t wait to get up on a Saturday morning, go downstairs, sit on my couch and do away with 2-3 hours of my life, watching pathetic wannabe actors try to sell me something I don’t need. To be honest, if I wasn’t married, I probably would’ve bought a lot more products from infomercials than I already have.

Not that I’ve bought a lot of stuff from infomercials. In fact, I can only remember buying three items. The first was the Totally 80’s cd I purchased in the early 1990’s. At the time it was a great buy – prior to about 1000 other 80’s compilations being sold at Circuit City of $5.00. I also bought the Ronco 6-Star knife set, which we have used extensively over the past year-and-a-half. Lastly, I bought the Scunci Steamer – a wonderful steam-cleaning product that we use all around the house – one that has probably paid for itself a number of times.

I figured I would update you on the current infomercials that have piqued my interest (I have seen them numerous times, and have desired these products – but have somehow kept away from the telephone):

1. The Magic Bullet – My God, could the designers of the infomercials put together a more delectable advertisement? I feel like calling right now thinking about it. Not only do you get one set of Magic Bullet accessories, but if you order within ten minutes of the infomercial, you get a second set free – just in case you need a set for your vacation home. It looks so easy to make chicken salad, smoothie drinks, and pasta dishes – but I know that if were to purchase this, I would never use it, and would rapidly forget about the recipe ideas. But, man does it look cool. It even has a cool name.
2. The Power Storm Vacuum Cleaner – I just see the visual of the guy pulling a 285-pound refrigerator with the vacuum, which is supposed to display its power (now, I know that he was pulling it on a wood floor and it had wheels, but still). The ease at which he cleans the entire house has me thinking that I need one of those, even though we have a perfectly good vacuum cleaner that we don’t really use now. But, the really enticing part is that he includes a second Power Storm vacuum cleaner which you could give as a present (man, he is really thinking) AND a Power steamer (much like the Scunci) – it’s almost like I feel like an idiot for not calling.

3. The Little Giant Ladder – This one is a little pricey – starting at over $300. But, the infomercial shows how easy it is to put in different positions (much like Paris Hilton) and how you can throw away all your other ladders, because this one fits the bill as an all-in-one ladder. They even have that guy from Tool Time that isn’t named Tim Allen promoting it. If only I could afford it…


Please add any infomercials that you currently like.

4 comments:

The Rev said...

Paris Hilton... HEYY-OHHH!

There's only one infomercial that has tempted me to buy anything, and that is the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts infomercial. I used to watch the infomercial on TV and love it. But that is because that infomercial actually had great entertainers with great lines on it. Most infomercials suck.

Now let me get this straight... you think I'm an idiot for watching American Idol, and you watch infomercials?

Los said...

I'm not sure which is worse - watching an infomercial because one is interested on his/her own, or being forced to watch a show and then liking it (even though this person is supposed to be a music connoissure (sp)).

Ink and Stone said...

Los, you have ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS. Not just a problem. I've never fallen for any of these infomercials, they're just annoying - Kinda like Paris Hilton.

HEYY-OOH!

The Rev said...

I told you before... I only like it because of Katharine McPhee's body. Is that so wrong?