Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Blah-Ta-To

After Monday’s political-style posting, I thought it might be best to do a more light-hearted blog entry. Many of you know that I have some weird tastes when it comes to food – like despising the taste of ham, even though I like bacon and pork (but not Canadian bacon, because that tastes too much like ham). I figured I’d throw another one of my weird nuances at you.

Being a descendant of Germans (both parents are German), one would probably surmise (big word, yeah me!) that I would love all things German. I mean, I love beer, all kinds of beer for that matter. No doubt that Bratwurst, Wiener Schnitzel, and Sauerbraten are at the top of my list of favorite. Heck, I even have a Heino box set (look him up), AND have worn Lederhosen.

However, for one reason or another, I’m not a huge fan of potatoes. Sure, I love potato chips, and the stringy French fries, but other forms of potatoes are not my thing. I’m not sure if it is the texture that I don’t like, or maybe the bland taste, but if I had a choice, I’d much rather have noodles over potatoes.

I’ve begun eating more baked potatoes in recent years (probably thanks to my wife), but to be honest, I need to add lots of butter in order to make them taste good. My mom apparently makes a killer German potato salad that everyone raves about, but even though it is chocked full of bacon, I still find it gross. German dumplings are supposed to be out of this world, but it’s hard for me to stomach even half of a dumpling.

At one time, I loved mashed potatoes. For some reason, my mom stopped making them for a few years. When she started up with them again, I lost my taste for them. It was like when the producers of the Dukes of Hazzard replaced Bo and Luke with cousins (because of a contract dispute). When Bo and Luke finally made their return, nobody really cared. That’s the way it was with me. I got so hooked on noodles, specifically elbow macaronis, that I could no longer imagine having anything else with my mom’s dinners (usually some sort of meat with gravy).

Man, I wish I liked potatoes – everybody loves them. There are so many recipes for food that include potatoes, it would be great to not be limited by this. Heck, I even eat around potatoes when they are included in soup. I get upset with diners that only offer hash-browns as a side (as I’ve blogged before, I wish they would give more options, darn-it!). Why, why, why??? I like weird foods like Liverwurst and pickled Herring – why can’t I “trade” the liking of one of these foods with the liking of potatoes? It would make life so much simpler.

Two things about this post. First, I told you it would be light-hearted. Second, any of you guys hate a food that most people like? (BTW – I have a friend who absolutely HATES ketchup – I thought that was weird, but who am I to talk?)

24 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

You don't like German Potato Salad?? What kind of German are you?? Seriously, German Potato Salad is one of the very best foods ever invented... ever.

Here's a simple recipe for a tasty baked potato:
First, clean your potato.
Then, poke holes in the 'tato with a fork (6 or 7 jabs oughta do it.)
Then, coat the 'tato lightly in Olive Oil.
Then, rub salt on the oily 'tato. (I use regular salt, but I hear kosher salt is good too)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place potato directly on the middle oven rack for 1 hour.
Put a pan on the lower rack to catch any drippings.
When the skin feels crips, but the flesh is soft, remove it from the oven.
(If cooking more than four 'tatos, up the cooking time by 15 minutes)

Tasty, tasty!

-B- said...

I think your key to liking potatoes,my friend, involves a huge vat of boiling oil. Frying can make anything taste good....fried lettuce, a fried stapler, or even a deep fried hackey-sack. They would all taste better. The drawback is that every bite you take - takes another ten minutes off your life (or so they say).
As for a common food that I can't stand.... I was never into Triscuits and grape nuts cereal. Blecccch! Too dry. I see sometimes that people put toppings on Triscuits, but that dry quality comes through. Grape Nuts you can just chew forever or until your jaw falls on the floor, with minimal flavory goodness. Maybe we can deep fry both of them. Hmmmm..

Eric said...

Nothing wrong with a weird food quirk. I personally have all kinds of texture issues, melons make me gag, and i throw away anything that has ever touch mayonaise.

Coy and Vance were definitely no Bo and Luke btw.

Los said...

Ink - I really wished I liked potatoes - I know something is wrong with me - sheesh!

B - Nobody really likes Grape Nuts - it's impossible.

Eric - However, you are cool with women's melons, right?

The Rev said...

Eric beat me to the Coy and Vance reference. Damn!

The Dukes of Hazzard went metrosexual on us.

The Rev said...

And you would think that Grape Nuts would taste like grapes or peanuts.

Christina_the_wench said...

I can't stand onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers or salad dressing of any kind.

Do you know how many dishes have onions in them??

Los said...

Smokin - Sounds like a bad Jerry Seinfeld joke... oh wait, it is.

Christina - I'm guessing about as many dishes have onions as ones that have potatoes.

Nikki said...

Okay, who gives a shit about the food talk.

I want a picture of you in Lederhosen.

Post in now please.

*taps foot*

I'm waiting.

Los said...

Funny thing, Nikki, I have a picture of me with Lederhosen at the age of like 4, and you can see my facial reaction (I'm chafing) - I have to find that one.

The Rev said...

That's really a Jerry Seinfeld joke?

I came up with it in my head. No, really I did.

Shit, I thought I had something there.

Los said...

Back to the drawing board, Smokin'. Jerry's joke went something like this:

"Why do they call them Grape Nuts? There's no grapes. There's no nuts.

Ken said...

Ir you want to dive back into a potato, try a twice baked baked potato. You can't go wrong.

iamunstoppable said...

twice baked taters make me go a chubby one, and you cant pass up cheesy potatoes with the broken up cornflake crust.

double-ugggh!!!

cant resist G-ma's holiday special.

Anonymous said...

Beats! I can't stand them. YUUUUCCCKKKKKK
~stick out tounge gaggin~

Texture, I don't like Squid.

OH, Fried calimari is all good an stuff...but CHEW CHEW CHEW!

snowelf said...

I absolutely cannot stand hamburger.
I can't eat it. Ever. It makes me want to wretch. It tastes awful and there are always little chips of bone and grissle in it. Ugh. So I'm all sympathetic in supporting your potato-hating thing.
Besides, there's a new report that links them to causing diabetes.

So there. Total validation for ya. ;)

--snow

Steph said...

Not liking potatoes is just WRONG!
How can that be?

You poor soul.

mollymcmo said...

what about sweet potatoes? i like me some roasted sweet potatoes with some margaine and splenda, odd i know but yum, even my picky kids suck em back.

and good thing you like canadian bacon, its canadian and all things canadian rawk!!!!

m

Los said...

Superstar - I'm not even sure if I've ever even tried beets. Weird!

Snow Elf - Wow, the way you describe hamburgers makes me dislike them as well (and I love hamburgers!).

Steph - Maybe I can get hypnotized into liking potatoes

Molly - Actually, I don't like Canadian bacon, because it looks and tastes too much like ham.

El Padrino said...

i knew you were crazy but no potatoes, now im questioning if your even human!!!

Anonymous said...

I find your treatment of potatoes abysmal and will be filing a complaint with my union rep.

Up yours,

Mr. Potato Head

Kristin said...

I don't like cheesecake... unfortunately, for my waistline, that is about it.

Christina_the_wench said...

ROFLMAO @ dirty's comment.

Los said...

El Padrino - I like potato chips and the shoe string fries (don't like steak fries), so I'm not all bad.

Mr. Potato Head - You should be happy that I prefer not to eat you (Thanks for the chuckle, Dirtie Birdie).

Kristin - I used to hate cheesecake, now I love it (don't know what happened).

Christina - Don't encourage her!!!!