Monday, September 04, 2006

Stoppage Time

Is That A Baby In Your Belly, or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
O.K., so no stories about getting kicked out of a gay bar this time around … I apologize in advance. However, it was still a VERY fun weekend, nevertheless. First, and foremost, I want to congratulate my cousin Trish and her husband Kurt for giving birth to their first child! Some things to note, though:

1. They decided to name him Troy, which, unfortunately, reminds me of the Dallas Cowboys. Slant and I decided to take a positive spin, as Troy Aikman was probably one of the lesser-hated Cowboys… I mean, they could’ve decided to name the poor kid after Ed “Too Tall” Jones, Tom Landry, or (gasp) Jimmy Johnson.

2. Troy was 8 pound, 13 ounces at birth – this kid has got offensive lineman written all over him … either that, or American Grand Sumo Champion (kidding, Kurt).

3. He seems to be very well-behaved at this early juncture – we were at the hospital for about 1 ½ hours, and we didn’t hear a peep out of him … well, that’s not actually true, he did have some impressive farting episodes … which makes me think that he has a lot of Trish’s genes.

Is It Really the Best?
Whilst watching the Penn State game on Saturday, Slant, Smokin’ and I got into a conversation about beer, specifically the beer we were drinking that afternoon – Milwaukee’s Best. Slant and I drank this beer religiously in college … mainly, because it was the cheapest beer we could find. We have basically made a tradition out of drinking this at important Penn State related moments (like the first game of the season). Smokin’ didn’t really understand the traditional aspects of this. Slant and I tried to convince him that there is a reason that they put the word “Best” on the can, and that “Best” is not an overused term in this country, especially when it comes to describing one’s product. I’m not sure if we got through to him, but hey, we tried.

Funniest Quote of the Weekend
It was one helluva weekend for funny quotes. In fact, I believe we have a three-way tie:
1. “She’s about as feminine as a cock.” Slant said this beauty whilst describing the female announcer, Pam Ward, during the Penn State game. I think some of that Milwaukee’s Best shot through my nose.
2. “Just because he looks like Mrs. Doubtfire, doesn’t mean Smokin’ can clean like her.” I was most impressed with how quickly my friend Ray-Ray came up with that one – how often does one get to use a Mrs. Doubtfire comparison, anyway?
3. “I’d have a better shot of farting myself to the moon.” Sure, I’ve heard this one a few times in the past, but man, this is a classic, and the way my friend Scott delivered it, when asked what chances he had of hooking up with this girl at a bar, it was just golden.

11 comments:

snowelf said...

Hey Los :)
I really think that your quote section is my favorite part of your blog!

My son was 8.15 and I SO want him to play football. But not for the Cowboys, or the Raiders.
Troy reminds me more of the movie than Troy Aikman, but I can see the connection.

Los said...

Snow Elf,

I've been keeping a list of all the funny quotes I've heard since 1993 (mostly from friends and family) at this website (shameless plug): http://losrulz.tripod.com/Quotes_1.htm

El Padrino said...

i dont get the women sideline reporters...and it's not because im a sexist pig
i dont think any sideline reporters are necessary

Los said...

El Padrino - I'll come off sexist sounding when I say, I don't want any women analysts OR announcers for football games ... or any men's sports games for that matter ... even if they sound like a man.

The Rev said...

Don't forget the fart in a spacesuit reference that was also made. Sure it's a little more well-known, but a classic nonetheless.

They just don't put "BEST" on the can for no reason. But what do I know? I drank Keystone in college.

Ink and Stone said...

Mmmmm... The Beast....

Bob Kaelin said...

Ah yes, a link to Karl's old site. I still love the Kaelinese part of that site. Classic.

ICH MIKE!!!

Ken said...

Schleaf is having his second kid tomorrow. Baby MGM Grand is do around 11am.

Christina_the_wench said...

Congrats to your friends. Their troubles are only beginning. *smirk*

Mama en Fuego said...

I'm surprised you boys weren't getting down with some Yuengling. Not everyone likes it but it's definately one of the things I miss about PA. I found some in FL and just about pissed myself with excitement...

I too, love your quotes.

snowelf said...

Thanks Los!! :)