Friday, September 15, 2006

Stoppage Time

It’s Time to Light the Lights
I’m not really sure how this topic of conversation came up, but we got to talkin’ about the Muppets, and how great of a show the Muppet Show was back in the day, and I asked the question, “Which one was your favorite Muppet?” I have always been partial to the Swedish Chef, just because he had real human hands … and because you had to pay really close attention to understand him.

However, I also loved the news guy who always cut in with a Muppet News Flash. I’m not sure he had a name, and it really didn’t matter, because his bits were so short, yet hysterical. He would report on some wild story like “anvils falling from the sky.” Inevitably, he would be hit with an anvil. Just good times all around.

I also liked the Muppet that would throw around the boomerang fish. You can’t tell me that Jim Henson wasn’t stoned when he came up with that beauty! There’s just no way. I also liked the guy that would always light off bombs on the Muppets, but I’m guessing that this wouldn’t fly anymore with the state of political correctness (super saturation) in this country.

In case you are interested, there is a website that has a list of the Muppet characters – www.kermitage.com (you are welcome).


What Kind of a Fan Are You?Another topic of conversation came up this past week at work, regarding being a sports fan. Specifically, we argued whether or not a person who continuously changes favorite teams is a real sports fans. Nothing burns me up more than seeing these “fo-fans” in Philly with Cowboys jackets or Yankees baseball caps. Follow the home team, jackass – that’s what being a real fan is. Sure, you can follow a player on another team (kind of like being a fan of Michael Jordan in the 1980’s and 1990’s), but I better not hear you refer to the Bulls as “we” if you live in Philly.

Those people who are currently White Sox, Spurs, Steelers, and Notre Dame fans, even though they have no apparent affiliation with the teams (not living or being from that area, going to school there, etc.), get under my skin. These people are basically the same as the Brittany Spears, N-SYNC, and Backstreet Boys fans of a few years ago (who are now J.T. fans) – you are all posers, and I don’t like you even a little bit. You are a tool.


That’s What She Said Quote of the Week:
(Again, more than one of these this week):
· “You might want to pull that one back out.” I forget what we were talking about, or what context this was used in, but I jotted it down, and found it funny.
· “I’m afraid of the meat-stick.” This was “B” talking about the whole Greek food and Gyro situation.
· “I’m holding out for the 21-incher.” Reverse said this when we were in Costco, looking at computer monitors.


Made-Up Word of the Week:
Samiliar – “B” came up with this one on our way to Chik Fil-A on Thursday. He was trying to say familiar and similar at the same time. I think it could work!


Stupid Joke of the Week:“The Eagles are in first place in their division. But, are they good at multiplication?” Ink came up with this one – I’m guessing he was trying to sound like me (I think he succeeded).

Song I Can't Get Out of My Head of the Week:
I Buy the Drugs, by Electric Six - All I can say is this song is absolutely addicting. It might not be that way the first time you hear it, but play it a few times, and you might have trouble going to sleep at night, because the chorus continuously plays in your head (or at least that's what it did to me).

13 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

Hmmm, I liked Beaker and Doctor Bunsen... the Hecklers were good too.

I'm not a fan of pro sports.
So, if someone grew up in Baltimore and loved the Orioles... then when they're older and move to Philly, they automatically have to stop following the Orioles and follow the Phillies??? Stupid. You ever heard of freedom of choice, you fascist jackass?? Next you're going to say we all HAVE to be Republican because our President is a Republican.

I was NOT trying to sound like you, Karl. I don't want to talk like you, act like you, be like you, or wear the clothes you wear. Though I will admit I listen to some of the same music you listen too... the Stones rock!

I have some surf rock stuck in my head... go figure.

Kristin said...

"Smailiar" - I love!


Muppets... I am devoted to the pig. Miss Piggy, (surely she is a gay icon?) kicks ass.

Los said...

Ink - On the contrary. If you were a big fan of the Orioles in Baltimore, and you moved to Philly, you are still allowed to root for Baltimore. That is no problem.

Kristin - Piggy was one helluva Karate Pig!!!!

The Rev said...

However, can you be a dual fan of Boston and Philly, like someone I know?

Though the Bruins are currently dead to me.

snowelf said...

I was a Beaker and Doctor Bunsen too fan too. I hated Pigs in Space though. I don't really know why?

I just tell everyone I am a misplaced fan. :)

--snow, also holding out for the 21-incher. ;)

Los said...

Smokin' - I guess that's o.k., although you have to have a definite number one team (in case they play each other, say in the Super Bowl?).

Snow - I LOVED Pigs in Space! I also think Fozzy Bear was underappreciated.

Eric said...

I like Statler and Waldorf, because puns are awesome. I like Gonzo too, he was banging a chicken, how does someone come up with ideas like that.

In high school someone told me that I looked like Beaker, I was pretty insulted.

El Padrino said...

only team i root for out of state is the Michigan wolverines
and that's cuz that's where i wanted to go to scholl since i was a kid, never worked out

go blue

The Rev said...

I think in the last Super bowl in question, I was very clear on who's side I was on.

Bob Kaelin said...

I don't know why but since I was four years old, I always liked the Orioles mainly because I was a fan of Steve Stone and Jim Palmer and in later years Cal Ripken Jr. I even wanted them to win in '83 but that was my young self. I do still like the Orioles but I probably would pick the Phillies first now since I live here and follow them more often.

I was always a fan of Beaker, Kermit and Animal for the Muppet question. And if you bring in Seasame Street Muppets, I always liked Grover.

Steph said...

I loved the grumpy old dudes in the theatre. Snark gets me every time.
I'm a shocking sports fan. Whoever has the cutest guys in the league gets my vote.

-B- said...

Ink - Good point on "if the fan moves".

There are a lot of Beaker fans out there!! I always loved Dr. Teeth and his groovy band. Oh, and at the end of the opening theme when Gonzo blowed the horn - something bad always happened to him. That was hilarious! Gotta get those on DVD.

That meat stick still gives me nightmares! lol

snowelf said...

-b-: I totally forgot about the ending when Gonzo blew the horn!
That was also one of my fave parts.
Ah, muppets.