Monday, September 25, 2006

My Weekend

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to move four cubic yards of dirt? Neither have I, but I got to “experience” it this weekend. A friend of mine needed help filling in his old Koi pond, and since I’m a really nice guy, I agreed to provide my services … AT 8:00 A.M.! I figured it would be an hour of moving a small pile of dirt, but didn’t realize that this pond was an 800-gallon pond! The good news is that I’ve discovered some muscles I never knew I had. Also, the sharp pain that continues to throb this fine morning served as an excellent alarm clock for me.

Thanks to that three hour workout, my body was willing and able to accept large quantities of beer, which I fully indulged in, hoping to numb the pain. Unfortunately, the physical pain was then mixed with emotional pain, as the Nittany Lions came up short, and the Irish unfortunately came back to win (was that Andy Reid coaching the Michigan State team?). But, at the very least, the Phillies swept the Marlins this weekend, and are somehow in the driver’s seat for the wild-card. Don’t worry, I’m only cautiously optimistic, because, after all, this is Philadelphia, and our sports teams take great pride in finding new ways to break our hearts.

One recurrent story that I saw this entire weekend was the lead-up to the first NFL game in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina ravaged the area a little over a year ago. I’m shocked that many people are complaining that this game is going to take attention away to the areas in and around the city that still are disaster areas. My take on it is this – sometimes sports is a good cure-all, and in this case, it absolutely is. The city needs some positive story, maybe even a distraction. Not that this is anything like 9/11, but remember how comforting it was when sports was back on television?

By the way, some of these commercials during the football games are god-awful. I’m shocked that companies are paying large sums of money to advertisers who produce worse work than a Kevin Federline song. Those Pepsi commercials with the Pepsi Machine going up against Reggie Bush make me want to jam an ice-pick in my ear.

Speaking of commercials (sorry I’m jumping around so much), there is one out that talks about the phone companies who are not letting other companies compete against them. The commercial basically calls them a Bell monopoly (for those of you who don’t know, in the U.S., there was a telephone company called Bell that was basically the only phone company around. The U.S. government broke the company up, and they splintered into several smaller companies). Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the commercial, EXCEPT that it was done by a group of cable companies. These guys have better sweet-heart deals than the phone companies do. This commercial really makes my blood boil. Sorry, I had to rant. Anyway, enjoy your Monday.

20 comments:

El Padrino said...

no doubt NO needs tonight's game-
the superdome IS the center of that town and needed to be rebuilt

Ink and Stone said...

Los - wah wah, our city's sports teams suck... wah wah....
As my great grand-pappy used to say:
"Suck it up, loser!"

The Rev said...

Sports in New Orleans again is a great thing.

Los said...

El-Padrino - But, will they be able to beat the Falcons tonight?

Ink - Go play in traffic.

Smokin - It certainly is. I love crawfish!

sirgeb said...

Commercials that must go:

1) Any commercial by Thrifty- but especially the one with the cooler full of ice on the airplane.

2) Ford (and car commercials in general) - wow, how about that divorced couple sharing a weekend with the kids- that makes me want to by a ford. No wonder they're laying off 1000s of people.

3) McDonalds - let me charge $1 a person for a party so I can buy crap. Sounds like a plan!


Brands that got it right:
1. Red Stripe - boo creepy foot doctor! horray beer!
2. Southwest - always phenominal.
3. BK - Seeing the King lay out Holt is always a treat.

I know I'm missing other great/bad commercials, but that's all that comes to mind currently.

Los said...

Geb - Usually, the Budweiser/Bud Light commercials are pretty good, at least better than the beer. I like the Milwaukee's Best commercials as well.

sirgeb said...

Yeah- the miller man laws are fairly good- espically the online site.

I had no idea there are beast commercials.

Bob Kaelin said...

Personally, I like the Espn commercial where Shaun Alexander trips and hurts himself in his kitchen and then gets a mobile alert about it a second after it happens. That's pretty funny. Funnier even now that he broke his foot for real and is out for 4-6 weeks now. A shame. Madder curse struck another.

Bob Kaelin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bob Kaelin said...

That should read Madden up above, not madder.

Oh and I hate that Bell Monopoly commercial too.

Anonymous said...

anyone else notice how many different Beethoven sonatas, "clips" are used??? The beef commercial's "theme"...AHHHH

This is why I normally will TIVO or mute on the comercials...

NUTS NUTS NUTS!!!!

mollymcmo said...

ah what a friend you are to get up at the very early hour of 8am! LOL!

m

Christina_the_wench said...

Sorry about that ass-whippin Penn State took. *giggles* I actually felt sorry for their quarterback as I thought he was gonna cry at the end.

Eric said...

My least favorite commercials are the ones with the sort of animated, sort of real people. I think it's for Morgan Stanley or something like that, i hate them, i keep waiting for a joke because its a cartoon but then it stays serious the whole time. I really can't stand these commercials

Los said...

Geb - The Milwaukee's Best commercials were played during the World Series of Poker ... probably why you didn't see them.

Bob - thank goodness I picked Alexander in my fantasy football draft.

Superstar - We just got DVR through our cable - any way to eliminate commercials with this?

Molly - No kids, hardy partier ... 8:00 a.m. is very early for me on weekends.

Christina - I felt like punching the PSU qb in the throat ... is that wrong?

Eric - I absolutely HATE those commercials. Good call!!!

snowelf said...

Um, hello? What is wrong with people!? Football brings fans, which in turn bring renevue to the businesses which in turn will help the city. So I fail to see the connection.
Football makes lots of things better. I know I was happy watching football this weekend. :)

Eric, I hate those commercials too!!
I also hate those commercials with the toenail fungus guy who flips up that toenail like a car hood. Bleech!!

snowelf said...

Um, hello? What is wrong with people!? Football brings fans, which in turn bring renevue to the businesses which in turn will help the city. So I fail to see the connection.
Football makes lots of things better. I know I was happy watching football this weekend. :)

Eric, I hate those commercials too!!
I also hate those commercials with the toenail fungus guy who flips up that toenail like a car hood. Bleech!!

Christina_the_wench said...

los, then he WOULD have cried. But that would have made one damn fine ending!

Anonymous said...

Los - you need a good massage to work out those knots.

The Office Linebacker commericals from a few years back were great.

Anonymous said...

Snow Elf - Ah, the toenail fungus commercials. Fantastic. Makes the germ look like an evil Disney Character.

Christina - at least we kept the game close for most of the time.

Dirty Birdie - Yes, I loved those office linebacker commercials, and YES, I could use a massage.