Tuesday, September 26, 2006

President Oprah???

My wife was watching one of those Hollywood “insider” shows last night, and a question was posed on whether or not Oprah Winfrey would make a great President. I’m guessing that the well has run dry on Tom Cruise and Michael Jackson stories, and this is the best they could come up with. I’m not even sure what prompted the question to be asked, and I’m hoping that she is not serious in running for President.

I know these Hollywood entertainment shows are a bunch of crap, but I really wonder how they come up with these “ideas.” Can you imagine a boardroom with writers who “brainstorm” for these “thought-provoking” topics? Did it come down to Oprah and Corky from Life Goes On?

It’s not that I have anything against a woman becoming President, because I don’t. But to think that Oprah would make a great leader of this country is about as good of an idea as having Jerry Springer run this great land (which, by the way, is not a great idea). I don’t know where Oprah stands politically, but I have unfortunately seen some of her shows – something I do not normally make a habit of doing (I swear). Sure, she is well spoken. Yes, she is very popular amongst a segment of our population. But, she is a TALK SHOW HOST. She has no background in politics. Most importantly, she thinks her show is ABOVE all other talk shows, when in reality, there is no difference.

She has benefited greatly from her reputation, and media power. For example, nobody seems to have a problem when she talks about penises and one-night stands. However, when somebody else does (Howard Stern, for example), there is a major uproar about this. Is this fair? In my opinion, no.

Additionally, I get really annoyed by her “reading club,” and not because I don’t believe reading is a good idea – because I think it is vitally important (hey, if you couldn’t read, you wouldn’t be enjoying or not enjoying this blog). I just question how an author gets on her “exclusive” list. I’m pretty sure that she has a vested interest in this (financially).

More importantly, could you imagine Doctor Phil being vice president? Neither can I. The only good thing that could possibly come out of this is that Saturday Night Live might finally be able to succeed again.

21 comments:

Eric said...

Jerry Springer is the former mayor of Cincinatti I think, so he's way more qualified than Oprah

The Rev said...

I have arguments with Soni over Oprah. I say the same things you do about her. And she thinks I am silly for saying Oprah is full of crap.

I have no problem with Oprah. She does a lot of good in this world. But she is just as full of crap as anyone in media.

At least Stern admits his own full of crapness.

Christina_the_wench said...

I am a minority, a woman who doesn't think Oprah is god. I personally can't stand to watch her show. My opinion only: I think she is racist. I'd vote for Jerry Springer before her. And Corky too.

Los said...

Eric - Jesse "The Body" Ventura was once governor of Minnesota, and we elected an actor as a president, as well.

Smokin' - Soni should be disciplined.

Christina - I always knew you were cool!

Fairmaiden327 said...

I am so with you on this. I hear reading club and Oprah giving her approval and I thank God I'm not a lonely housewife. Oprah is the white woman's personal Jesus. Well, not all white women.

El Padrino said...

she's the devil

Anonymous said...

While I don't think Oprah is the devil, she's not on my list of shows to Tivo. I also do not believe that being "famous" should preclude someone from running for office. Yeah, a lot of them are living on their own planet, but some of them are some fart smuckers and actually did something usefull before going Hollywood.

And no, Oprah is not running for office. She's actually actively trying to stop this crackpot teacher from running a campaign "for her."

Anonymous said...

Oprah and her publisist are activly seeking an injunction to have this "Oprah for President" squashed. They are also filling a civil law suit for slander/defimation of character...

OH This would make a good blog..but Oprah or Hillary?!?!?!
I think that would be the better debate!

Los said...

Fair Maiden - Great, now you got that Depeche Mode song in my head.

El Padrino - BeelzibOParah.

Dirty Birdie - C'mon, you know she's lovin' the publicity!

Superstar - Oprah vs. Hillary vs. Condoleeza.

Fairmaiden327 said...

Ha ha ha Los. You are funny. Great...now I will sing this all day too. Damn you.

-B- said...

Maybe that wouldn't be so bad - having somebody with little or no political bkgrnd in office (not Oprah, though).. nowadays politicians are businessmen/women first, with $$$$$ as the #1 concern for their actions. We see where it has led us, maybe a change would be good. (?)

Dirty Birdie - "fart smuckers" That was precious. Word of the week, Los!!!

Los said...

Fair Maiden - I've now graduated to the Johnny Cash version of Personal Jesus ... and have begun bashing my head onto my desk ... call for help.

B - I have used the term fart-smellers before, but I do like fart-smuckers - might have to start using that one.

Which brings up a whole new question - which famous person do you think would make a good president? My vote goes to The Rock, because I want to see him lay the smack-down on foreign diplomats, and give 'em the People's Elbow. Of course, the eye-brow move and the "It doesn't matter what you think!" comments would be fantastic at press conferences.

-B- said...

It'll have to be a thre-headed President:
Johnny Knoxville, Stimpy, and Clint Eastwood

Knoxville - because he would want to be friends and go drinking with all the nations of the world, and make them laugh with stupid stunts..
Stimpy - would always be loyal to the people..and make them laugh as well..
Clint - because he would kick some major @ss if need be.

Anonymous said...

I'm putting my money on Condoleza, I have a feeling that chick could throw down.

Anonymous said...

Oh and more to the point, I'm sure she's majorly pissed that she's not getting any 'proceeds' from the sale of her campaign goods.

Fairmaiden327 said...

Daddy-o: New post!!!

Fairmaiden327 said...

People's elbow. Damn you Los, I snorted.

Los said...

B - I think a three-headed president would be bad kharma, it never worked in sci-fi.

Dirty Birdie - I think we should settle the Hillary vs. Condy debate with a jello wres ... ugh, nevermind.

Fair Maiden - Glad I made ya snort. A coworker said Stone Cold Steve Austin would be better, because he can call foreign rulers trailer park trash and pour beer on their heads ... worth mentioning.

Anonymous said...

EWWW NO friggin way. Nether of them would look good in a bikini! ~spits out coffee~
But I just put $100 on Condaleeza w/ my bookie!

Steph said...

No offence, but she can't be any worse than the President you currently have.
Haaaaaa!

Kristin said...

Oprah bugs... however, I am amazed at the millions of people who think everything she does is just pure magic...