Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's That Time of Year Again!!!




Once a year, an event so special comes around that makes everybody quake in their boots with excitement ... Christmas? Nope .... Halloween? Uh-uh .... Flag Day? Seriously????

That's right, folks, it's Oktoberfest ... a time for many people to dream about being German (not unlike the amateur night on St. Patricks Day) ... And please, don't ask why it's called Oktoberfest and it's held in September (btw - you can find the answer on wikipedia.org).

The biggest one I know of in the area is the Delaware Saengerbund's weekend celebration taking place ... well ... this weekend! A few of us are making our annual migration to this glorious event that features much bier (that's the way the Germans spell it), good German Volksmusik, great German food, and funny German clothing.

I'm not really sure how many people come out to this, but let me just say that it is absolutley packed with people ... my parents help with peeling potatoes for the event (if you're a club member, you have to volunteer with something), and they are planning on peeling 1,500 pounds of potatoes today ... The state of Idaho and McDonalds are both jealous!

There's stuff for the whole family here, and the price is quite reasonable. . So, if you're in the area, stop by today or tomorrow (it's easy to find, just click on the link I provided). Have a look at some of the pics from last year's event.


The bier-tower - a classic at the Oktoberfest (lots of drinking involved).


The ceremonial tapping of the keg (that's my uncle, by the way!).


Authentic German biersteins for sale!


Bring the kids ... they can ride on all the rides they want while you drink!

13 comments:

schue said...

Oh Yay! I cant wait to collect corks for a new "cork board". Always a great time, im looking forward to it honey!

Angie said...

Love this time of the year.. sitting in a "beer garden" and enjoying the day into evening!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for October fest!!!!

Superstar said...

My dad had a beirstein growing up, and we somehow managed to have Hot Cocoa in it...LOL
Love the pic's! I'm not even going to give your uncle any crap about the lederhoisen(sp)

Jeff said...

No jokes about you in lederhosen. That picture of your uncle is your destiny.

snowelf said...

Los, We would love to come if we could. I think your Oktoberfest may rival all of the beir drinking in my whole state...
maybe...
there are a lot of Germans here too..
hmmm...

--snow

The Rev said...

Have a swig from Das Boot for me.

Lisa said...

I love the Saengerbund and am sorry I didn't make it. Just not in the cards for me this year, but I'm sure you guys had a blast. I'll look forward to the stories! .... babs

Sandi said...

We used to live in a resort (It was pretty cool) and they had a big Oktoberfest celebration every year. My husband loved it because, well, he loved beer. I found it boring as hell.

Heff said...

I have a personal Oktober fest of my own. All the drinking, without all that irritating "State Fair" krap involved.

Ink and Stone said...

Biersteins rock!

Los said...

Schue - It was a blast! I paid for it the next day.

Sunshine - And even night-time ...

Alaina - It was great!

Supestar - I have a few biersteins ... my parents have a bunch.

Jeff - Sadly, this may be true.

Snowelf - It would certainly be worth the trip!

Rev - No boot this year!

Babs - we missed you.

Sandi - If you don't like beer, the Oktoberfest is NOT for you.

Heff - Eh, it adds to the charm.

Ink - I won't one built in my likeness!

Melissa said...

All that matters is the beer.... go ahead kids run off--ride rides, play games; just let mama drink some beer!!! :)