Thursday, May 22, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!!!!

Memorial Day is upon us – the unofficial start of summertime … one of my favorite four seasons, by the way! So in honor of this momentous occasion, here is a top 10 list of things I enjoy about summertime:

10. Barbecues … seriously, what tastes better than seared flesh on the grill? Dogs, burgers, chicken, steak, ribs … heck, even corn! I love to barbecue, and we try to do it at least once a week in the summertime (preferably, more!).

9. Corona with a lime in it – Sitting out on the deck, late evening, watching the sun make it’s curtain call as the unbearable humidity begins to subside … sometimes, life doesn’t get any better …

8. The beach – Yeah, the sand is hot, and can often irritate as it finds it’s way into the nooks and crannies of our bodies, but it wouldn’t be summer without it … oh yeah, and the little sunburn marks where you couldn’t reach whilst applying the sunblock.

7. Swimming pools and the smell of chlorine – Sure, your eyes get blood-shot, your hair feels like straw, and you smell like a bottle of Clorox, but it’s all worth it, isn’t it?

6. Baseball games – whether it’s on the tv in the mid-afternoon, while you’re reading the paper or napping, or if you’re at the game, enjoying one of those mystery frankfurters, America’s pastime really signifies summer.

5. The air-conditioner – Is there a better feeling than coming into a nicely air-conditioned house after spending hours (or minutes) in the stifling summer humidity? I submit that there is not!

4. Summer storms – They’re violent, soaking, and extremely fun to watch … and heck, the smell of wet asphalt has always been a favorite of mine for some reason.

3. Girls in bikinis – Hey, I’m only human!

2. Hangin’ out with friends at a get-together until late at night, outside! My neighbors probably hate me because of this, but it’s worth it.

1. Less traffic on the road during rush hour – Yeah, it’s boring, but I HATE traffic on my way to work in the morning, and on the way home in the afternoon. With school out, and with people vacationing, my ride to and from work becomes almost enjoyable … ALMOST!

11 comments:

snowelf said...

Happy Memorial Day, Los!! Bring on The Summer!! :)

I agree--except I'm going to change the girls in bikinis to hot college guys running and rollerblading. ;)


--snow

Jeff said...

10. Maybe you should grill ham.
9. Corona? Are you a dude? Guinness, or at least a beer that doesn't require fruit.
6. It's summer when Ryan Howard starts hitting.
3. Trying to redeem yourself for #9?
1. Mixed bag. Friday afternoon rush hour is awful, thanks to beachgoers. But I do enjoy shorter lines for everything in the area.

Do have a great Memorial Day weekend!

scargosun said...

The smell of suntain lotion (I will always call it that, refuse to say sunblock). That is summer to me. Also, Sam Adams Summer Ale. I need to stock up. :)

KatBouska said...

Oh man, you nailed it! Every single last one of those was perfect...except for the girls...and I am human and I don't care for them. ESPECIALLY the cute skinny one that make me feel fat. But everything else was right on...right down to the smell of wet asphalt. I am so with you on that one.

schue said...

Ahhh, Summer! Fresh basil and tomatos from a farm in NJ. ooooh,and a Tan!

sirgeb said...

Summer's one of your favorite 4 seasons? That sounds like a candidate for your stupid quote list.

Mexican Beers and Summer Ales (containing Grains of Paradise: thank you Jim Koch) rule the summer. Guinness has it's time to shine; unfortunately the summer isn't it.

Friday evening rush-hour traffic during the summer is hell on earth, so I don't know how you can say you enjoy summer driving.

Let's also remember that it doesn't get dark until 9pm- who can't get behind that?

Insane Mama said...

Can't wet to play outside on the wet cement..
I live in Ca. and we have had CRAZY weather, I hope that it is not an insight to the summer.
p.s. there is nothing wrong with fruit in your beere or any alcoholic beverage for that matter

El Padrino said...

no doubt summer is good times all the way around

Superstar said...

happy Memorial day....I remember when we would all head to the lake and do the annual bonfire and smores....LOL
*sigh*
makes me miss Mom...she was always there w/ the chocolate bars....LOL

Ink and Stone said...

I love a good summer thunderstorm.

Los said...

Snowelf - we can agree to disagree about that one topic!

Jeff - Usually, the rush hour isn't so bad the way I go to work ... and no thanks with the ham.

Scargosun - Summer Ale is good - Hoegarten and Blue Moon are great this time of year, too.

Kathy - I thought I was the only wet-asphalt sniffer!

Schue - I get a nice reddish hue ... moreso than a tan.

Sir Geb - Um ... that summer reference was supposed to be a joke ...

Insane Mama - I likes myself a good long Island Iced Tea in the summer.

ElP - Amen, Brother!

Superstar - good to have ya back - I hope all is well!

Ink - No doubt ... chillingly beautiful.