Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My cell phone is starting to die, which means I have a tough time figuring out who is calling or texting me – my phone screen is starting to resemble a strobe light … which is good news if I’m out at a club … not so much, if I’m at work. Anyway, I believe my contract with my cell phone company, AT&T, is just about up, and I need your help.

First, let me say that I really haven’t had any problems with AT&T, at least not with the service. When my wife and I bought our cell phones about 2 years ago, they were really nice – the phone included a camera, some memory, and other options like audio recording and a calendar. I’m guessing just about every phone includes this now.


In those 2 years, I’ve become quite a texter (I used to have Nextel, and used the walkie talkie function quite a bit at one time). My Nokia, which apparently everyone has now, looks like this:



It is rather difficult to text with this phone, sadly … I have to hit the 5 button 3 times before I can get to the letter “L.” So, I’m guessing I want some sort of keypad. I also want a phone with a camera and more memory than the Nokia I currently have. It seems like I can take maybe 5 pictures before the “Memory Almost Full” text appears. And forget about amassing any amount of ring tones with it. Do any of you have any suggestions on a type of phone I should look into?

Now, just because I’m with AT&T currently, doesn’t mean I have to stay with them. I have a work discount with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and Alltell (I think). Anybody have any suggestions with any of these (or other) carriers? Remember, I want quality and value on this one.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about the chocolate (or however they're spelling it). I've heard good things with that one. Except it's not a flip... I personally won't have anything but a flip because I hate remembering to lock the keypad... but I think the chocolate has some feature to lock it when it's not extended. Not sure.

Jeff said...

I've had Sprint for years, mostly as the only carrier with even crappy reception at Edwards Air Force Base. Haven't had any problems locally or on travel.

Did look into pricing a year or so ago. Sprint and Verizon were the least expensive and also had the best coverage areas (in the US, not sure about international). At least with my corporate discount.

Recommend an internal antenna -- it can't break off when dropped.

The Rev said...

I hasd some problems with AT&T, but they eventually fixed them. Other than that they're OK.

I'd stick with either AT&T or Verizon. And get the cheapest flip phone they have that isn't a Motorola Razr. Really, you don't need anything fancy. Do you?

snowelf said...

I have T-mobile now and I love them. They have incredible customer service, but hardly anyone I know has them and I'm not really sure why.

My phone is not that great, but it's because I haven't splurged for the expensive phone.

I liked Nextel, but they were uber expensive and made me really made when they wouldn't replace my phone because it wasn't "broken enough" since i didn't have the "right type of insurance plan for just a broken antenna". I know I was the "stupid consumer" for having a plan that would replace my whole phone and not just parts, but I never have forgiven them for that.

You'll need a full keypad if you text a lot--for sure!

--snow

scargosun said...

Been with AT&T/Cingular for a long time and no complaints. Always had good phones and good service. I currently have a Blackberry Curve which I love. I only use the email functionality for personal email, not work. P had Verizon for work and it had terrible reception, which is odd I know but it's true. He's back to AT&T also with a Blackberry Curve and really likes it.

Paige Jennifer said...

Get a Crackberry but don't add on the email piece to keep the price the same. I loves me a teeny tiny keyboard. So much better than beep-beep-beep-beep...SHIT...I just passed the P, AGAIN.

El Padrino said...

rev's such a cheapskate

it's obvious you need the iphone

do it
do it

-B- said...

If my contract was expiring I'd probably get Verizon. Ever since the merger AT&T's service has been horrible for me. Los - check out the LG phones that Verizon offers - they seem to be great, Matt has one here at LM.
There's an offer at my company for a free upgrade to a "Crackberry" (that's hilarious, jennifer!) - is it worth it?

The Preacherman said...

Mine is as old as the hills mainly 'cause Jax nicks all my upgrades.

It looks kinda like a house brick.

Mind you it fell in a swimming pool once when I was pissed and it still works so what the hell?

KatBouska said...

I have nothing to add to this conversation. I'm am phone retardent.

But I am interested in hearing what you decide on and how it works for you!!

minijonb said...

if even think you might want an iPhone in the next few years, stick with AT&T.

i have T-Mobile right now, and they are ok. prices are fair. service works in most places, but i don't love it.

Los said...

Alaina - I'll keep the Chocolate in mind ... on a somewhat related note, I would've never in a million years guessed that I could possibly have a phone called "chocolate."

Jeff - I had Nextel before, and absolutely hated it.

Rev - I want more than a cheap phone.

Snowelf - I'd consider T-Mobile ... I'll look into them.

Scargosun - Again, I'd never in a million years have guessed that I could have a phone called "blackberry."

Paige - Agreed!

ElP - I'm having trouble swalling (a) the price of the phone and (b) the extra monthly cost.

-B- - It looks like Verizon does have cooler phones ...

Street Preacher - I think if you drop your cell phone in a pool, and it still works, it's a keeper.

Kathy - I'll share my progress and updates...

Minijonb - I like the I-Phone, just don't like the costs and don't know if it's worth it...

snowelf said...

Los, not that I think you are, but if you are even thinking of an iPhone, hold off. They are coming out with a revision on it--I think in July. Just fyi. ;)

--snow