Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Summertime Blues ...

Summertime approaches … and with it come a lot of plans ... vacations, fishing, swimming, golfing ... the thing is, outside of going on vacation, I don’t do much of the others anymore … oh, I plan on it, much like a New Years resolution that’s quickly forgotten, unfortunately.

Back in the day, I did all of these things with a lot of frequency. I used to fish just about every day … freshwater or saltwater. It didn’t matter if I was going after bluegill or bluefish … as long as I had a pole in my hand. Nowadays, with the exception of a family fishing trip out of Fortescue, my fishing poles sit in the shed, bored out of their skulls.

Same thing with golfing. No, I was never a good golfer, but I sure enjoyed spending a hot summer day on the course with the irons, or even going out to the local pitch-n-putt course in the evening.

Heck, I even used to swim just about every day in the summer – we used to belong to a public swimming pool – and I’d be there swimming, playing ball, or just trying (and failing) to impress the chicks.
That was back when I had what seemed to be all the time in the world. Sadly, life, and more importantly, work, can get in the way. I’ll make a concerted effort to once again fish, swim, and golf more, but I’m sure the summer will be over before I know it … sigh.

9 comments:

scargosun said...

My suggestion, just flippin do it. Life is too short to live for your job. :)

BTW - I never digged the whole steak and eggs thing either. Seperate, very good. I HATE chocolate and fruit together. Something about juice and chocolate. ick!

Ink and Stone said...

Make time for yourself to do all of those things that you miss! Include your wife, make it a family thing.

minijonb said...

:cough: call in sick when needed :cough: :cough:

Lisa said...

OK, somehow I just can't picture you golfing.

I say go back to the pool, but be sure to wear your bullet-proof gear. ...Babs Peapod

The Preacherman said...

alternatively sit outside a bar in the sun with a large vodka. Now that's relaxation.....

El Padrino said...

summers can be depressing if you dont get out and do shit

Jeff said...

I'm up for a trip to the putt-putt course sometime.

-B- said...

I agree with scargosun - work to live, not the other way around!!

Los said...

Scargosun - Agreed, I really do need to reset my priorities!

Ink - Noted.

Minijonb - Yep ... cough-cough ... I feel something coming on ... and soon!

Lisa - I don't miss golf ... I sucked at it and it took too much time.

Dinners - You've returned!!!! I'll update my links!

Elp - It's not that they're depressing, it's just that they go by so quickly.

Jeff - Hey, don't knock Putt-Putt!

B - Wise words!