Thursday, May 08, 2008

Just a Few Signs That I'm Getting Old

1. Getting mad at kids wearing their pants below their ass cheeks. I’m not sure why this pisses me off, but I’m starting to hear myself say things like, “When I was their age, I would’ve never done that.” Of course, I have no proof that this is a true statement. After all, I did go through the fad of wearing acid-washed jeans, and I would’ve loved to have gotten an ear-ring, but decided to pass on it when my dad informed me that if I did so, he would rip the ear-ring off of my ear. Plus, I even had a pair of Z-Cavarici’s back in the day – much like Ric Flair, I was stylin’ and profilin.’

2. Grillz … need I say more? I’ve lost touch. I can’t understand this. How is this cool?

3. Video gaming systems that have controllers with a million buttons on them. I grew up in the Atari 2600/Commodore 64 generation … systems that used joysticks and only one button. When the Nintendo Entertainment System came out with two buttons, I remember saying to myself, “Two buttons??? How am I going to remember how to play games with TWO buttons?” It’s gotten progressively worse … although, the Nintendo Wii gives old gamers like me hope!

4. The new music the youngsters are listening to, from urban music to emo to country – I hate ‘em all. Now, granted, I was a classic rock guy far too early in life, and basically ignored the grunge revolution of the early ‘90’s (which I now enjoy … call me a late adopter). I like alternative music, but not emo – it all sounds the same to me … Christ, I’m sounding like my parents (of course, they listened to German polka, and said that my Stones music was trash).

5. Reality TV shows – I can’t stand most of them … but I know American Idol and Dancing with the Stars is all the rage with the youngsters. I’m finding less and less TV that I can enjoy, even though it seems like I’m getting more and more TV channels to choose from … sigh.

10 comments:

snowelf said...

1. This has never really bothered me. But it does kinda make me want to pants people. ;)

2. Barf. These are terrible. I guess I've lost touch too...

3. Oh, sorry, Los...the more buttons the better for me. I didn't buy a car once because the dash didn't have enough buttons.

Sadly...I'm serious.

4. I don't pay attention to music trends anymore and just let myself fall in love with songs. I have always been an "all about the lyrics" girl. (As you can tell from my blog.)

5. TV has always been targeted to a demographic either younger or older than our age right now. It's really annoying. I am just so burned out on music/voting off reality shows... bleech. I was watching the biggest loser, but that's the only one I can tolerate anymore and even THAT got gross because I hate watching people cry.
Double bleech.

Sorry I haven't been by to see you in forever!!

--snow

Sandi said...

I agree with you about EVERYTHING!

Lisa said...

I must be further behind than you are because I have no clue what emo is. Time to do a little googling. ... Babs

Jeff said...

Music: our curse is PHL radio -- an unintentional 24/7 ad for Books on Tape.

Reality TV: Gangland on the History Channel. Oops, that's a little too real!

Reality TV (2): We need reality show spoofs. Such as: Pole Dancing with the Stars.

By the way, last time I was serious about going for putt-putt.

scargosun said...

Ah Los. I totally agree with the pants thing although, I felt that way when it first started. That's not an old thing it's just a WTF thing. I believe that there are a few types of reality shows. Crap like Big Brother just is desroying brain cells. Deadliest Catch on the otherhand is interesting and they are actually WORKING at something.
The 30's can be a cynical time. I think that's ok. It's when you weed out the idealistic crap from your 20's to figure out what really works for you. Pants falling off does not work for you and that's ok.

El Padrino said...

ya crusty old fuck
stop whining and get an ipod already!

Superstar said...

1. I tell the kiddos all day that we are not in prison and if they don't want to advertise to the "boy's" they shouldn't be showin off there brown eye!!!

2, I had James Jeans, w/the waterfall paattern! I too was a victim of the 80's hair!!!

3. there are games that don't require a .25 piece and giant box?

4. Have you checked out all the XM satillite and cable music??? LOL too many...must choose!!
5. If it's not on my TIVO I don't care...I do find the surgery reality shows the most interesting...LOL

I willsay, it, cuz it needs to be said...We are OLD!!!

The Preacherman said...

WTF is a grilz?

Fuck me I'm gettin' old....

I see kids with these jeans halfway down their arse and their pants showing. According to my daughter the pants are sewed into the jeans.

I need a drink.

I just saw a rap video on MTV and they were all white kids.

Is it me or did they look fuckin stupid?

Los said...

Snowelf - I guess with video games, if I'm truly invested in the game, it doesn't matter how many buttons, I'll figure it out.

Sandi - Great minds ...

Lisa - Emo is a type of rock that's got a punk edge to it, but it all sounds the same, right down to the vocals.

Jeff - I used to be a pretty damn good putt-putt player ... let's do this.

Scargosun - I really wish acid washed jeans were back in style ...

ElP - I got an I-Pod, thank you!

Superstar - So, did the kids listen?

Street Preacher - Again, great minds, they think alike!

Paige Jennifer said...

If this makes you old, I'm officially ancient.