Sunday, October 14, 2007

An Important Dilemma!

I guess I first noticed this phenomenon many years ago with my dad, but was reminded of it just recently with a fellow coworker. What could I possibly be talking about? War? UFO’s? Political preferences? No, no, and no. This is something much more important … cereal preferences.

Let me explain … my dad eats corn flakes for breakfast every morning … I know, I know, you are probably asking, “What the hell is so unusual about that?” Let me continue … he pours his cereal into the bowl, adds the milk, and then lets it sit for about 5 minutes or so, to make the flakes soggy. This is how he enjoys his cereal – totally soggy. I thought this was a rather quirky and unique preference, until a coworker of mine told me that he prefers his cereal this way too.

In fact, the coworker went a step further and said that he hates cereal that doesn’t get soggy … you know the kind – Cocoa Puffs, Cap’n Crunch, Kellogs Pops. I was blown away by this. I, by no means play cereal favorites. In fact, I end up buying whatever’s on sale – whether it’s healthy cereal or kids cereal (although, I have to admit, there is no way I’m buying Grape Nuts – I’ve had that before, and it’s like eating gravel).

I’d have to say that I prefer my cereal to stay crunchy, though, so I eat it as soon as I pour the milk on it. I love Raisin Bran cereal, but one of the things I dislike is how quickly the flakes become soggy … it’s kind of like the texture of cold soup.

Anyway, I wanted to see how you guys and gals prefer your cereal. Is there really a split in this nation as to whether cereal should be eaten crunchy or soggy? Help me out on this one!

11 comments:

Jeff said...

You have teeth for a reason.

Steph said...

It's gotta be crunchy! When it's soggy it reminds me of old folks food.

Ink and Stone said...

Cereal is meant to be eaten crunchy! Any other way is sacrilege to the cereal gods!

minijonb said...

crunchy > soggy

no way i'm going to eat soggy cereal. if i wanted something with that texture, i'd make oatmeal.

Kristin said...

soggy.

Eric said...

I'm pretty sure I've wasted thousands of pounds of cereal in my lifetime because it because soggy. Can't stand soggy cereal.

Superstar said...

Crunchy and sweet...LOL ;o)

I have to say, I have never put this much thought into the cereal debate...

I had to give up milk and found that I prefer the crunchy granola in my yogart...

El Padrino said...

if it's soggy i will disregard and i dont like porridge

Ken said...

Soggy Cinnamon Life in the house. It's the only way to eat your Life away.

-B- said...

Whatever it is, it's gots ta be CRUNCHY!
(One thing I have to do, though, is dunk every piece of cereal into the milk and get them wet b4 I eat!! Don't want to eat dry cereal if there's milk!)

Los said...

Jeff - I agree.

Steph - Good comparison - it is like old folks food, or like somebody already chewed it.

Ink - I thought you didn't believe in gods!

Mini - So far, it's unanimous!

Kristin - Hmmph - no reason why?

Eric - I'll eat it if it's soggy (that's what she said), but I won't like it.

Superstar - My purpose in life - to find useless discussion points.

ElP - I have to be honest, I don't think I've ever eaten oatmeal before.

Reverse - Et Tu, Brut?

B - I just have to make sure there's milk on the spoon - I'm not as psycho as you are!