Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Just Like Old Times ... Sorta



Last night, I went to see Van Halen at the Comcast Center … not really a big deal, I guess, especially since I’ve seen them quite a few times in the past. BUT, this time around, Diamond Dave was back leading the band for the first time since 1984, and this was my first opportunity to see them with him fronting the band (I saw them twice with Sammy Hagar, and once with Gary Sharone). Also, instead of Michael Anthony laying the bass down, Eddie Van Halen decided to instead insert his 16-year-old son Wolfgang as the bassist (more on that later).

First, let me say that Eddie Van Halen is by far the greatest guitarist I’ve ever seen. Sure, now he looks more like Skelator (Keith Richards thinks this guy looks bad), but to this day, he still is a wizard with the axe. I’ve seen some of the best – Clapton, Townsend, Angus – but they just can’t compete with this guy.

David Lee Roth’s voice was still very much intact, and let’s face it, even though Sammy did sing some of the Dave songs when he was with Van Halen, nobody does it like Diamond Dave. A couple of things, though – Dave acted more like a lounge singer than the lead vocalist of Van Halen (the one we remember from the videos). Plus, the hair-cut that Dave has, combined with that goofy smile he had, made him look more like Steve Martin’s brother.

Alex Van Halen is amazing behind the drums, and if his brother wasn’t the lead guitarist of Van Halen, Alex would probably get some consideration as being one of the best rock drummers of all-time. That being said, do we really need a 10-minute drum solo from him? Maybe it’s just me.

Wolfgang is no replacement for Michael Anthony. In fact, Wolfgang looked more like Bill Wyman … a fat Bill Wyman … than Eddie’s son. One person described Wolfgang as looking as if he had eaten Michael Anthony (high comedy). Still, one has to understand that the kid is only 16. I mean, I’d probably try to stay out of the way of Dave and Eddie as well. Plus, now that Wolfgang is in the band, he might carry on the Van Halen legacy even long after Dave and Eddie retire or die … kind of like Menudo.

All in all, a great show. Certainly, it was way different than the other Van Halen shows I saw – It’s a totally different band with Dave leading. Plus, they only played Dave songs … the more rockin’ Van Halen tunes.

11 comments:

Jeff said...

In the very first picture in VH's website, Diamond Dave looks like Sting would after a month with the Queer Eye guys -- only gay.

Actually, he had a lounge act in Vegas for a few years. I think I still have the picture of him in a sequin vest. Hilarious.

Wolfgang looks like he's been chugging Jack Daniels to prepare for Michael Anthony's shtick.

Steph said...

My brother was a huge Van Halen fan so I was bombarded with a lot of their songs. I'd love to hear them with Dave as the lead again, I wonder if they're going to tour.

Superstar said...

So, all in all it sounds very disappointing?!?!?

I would like to hear them..Just to hear/see...
I have to say, that I laughed about the Wolfgang eating M. Anthony...That is hysterical.

~looks around~
Next to the drummer in RUSH...Van Halen is really a good drummer. OH and if he didn't go on for 10 min....how would the band get the costumes changed, drinks consumed an come out ready to rock the last 30 min of the show?!?!?
*giggles*

JK.

-B- said...

Great to see them touring again. How was Wolfgang's playing? Did he hold his own?
Don't know what happened, but I heard that somebody in the band is trying to wipe Michael Anthony's name from the entire catalog of VH's music.

Wierd.

Ken said...

No one beats Dave!

mollymcmo said...

i haven't been to a concert in 4ever.

i'd go see britney if she went on tour :)

m

The Rev said...

Sammy Hagar is better.

Kristin said...

I would have been there in a heartbeat... even knowing I would have to sit through teen Wolf.

El Padrino said...

cabo wabo

Los said...

Jeff - Wolfgang looks like he ate Mr. Daniels.

Steph - I think they are planning on touring outside the US.

Superstar - No - it was a great show.

B - Wolfgang was nonexistant - they could've had you playing base up there ... no offense.

Reverse - Certainly, he is a character.

Molly - I would never see her ... ever.

Rev - That's why you weren't invited.

Kristin - Teen Wolf! Classic!

ElP - No mention of Cabo. Shocking.

Fairmaiden327 said...

You are so lucky. I wish I would have seen that show. I can never look at David Lee the same way again.

Steve Martin's brother? Shit.