Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Weekly Homework Assignment

It's time once again for Mama Kat's weekly homework assignment! Even though it's not Mother's Day (every day should probably be Mother's Day), the prompts all had to do with mom. This week, I chose the following prompt: How did you parents choose your name? What does it mean? What would you change your name to if you could?

Without giving too much away about my name, my first and middle name are the same as a famous comedian's first and last name ... I'll leave it at that. I always assumed I was named after this comedian, but wasn't sure why. One day, I asked my mom about it, and she claims I was NOT named after said comedian ... not sure if I believe her. Anyway ...

So, the first two questions have been, for the most part, answered. My first name is a common German first name, and my middle name is of German "heritage" as well. Growing up, I absolutely hated my middle name. When people asked what my middle name was, I pretended I didn't know. I was embarrassed by it, probably because it didn't sound "normal." It isn't a middle name like "Thomas" or "Robert." I guess I was afraid I wouldn't fit in if I told my friends what my middle name was ... stupid, I guess.

But, the more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Now, I love my middle name - I wouldn't change it for the world. I like that it's different ... and, God willing, if we ever have children, I would consider naming my son said name.

Onto the third question - I don't think I'd change my name. I'm comfortable with it - it's easy to spell, different enough that I don't know many people who have a first name spelled like mine ... at least not in the U.S. (Germany is a different story - the country is supersaturated with people with the same first name as me). I'd change my name to Mick Jagger if I'd have access to his bank account, though ... just sayin'.

No comments: