Saturday, May 29, 2010

Song of the Week ..

This isn't necessarily a new song, but it's new to me, so there ... Coconut Records is an indie band that has musical contributions by members of Incubus, as well as appearances by actresses Zooey Deschanel and Kirsten Dunst (this, according to Wikipedia). I'm rather unfamiliar with their music, but there is one song that caught my fancy - Minding My Own Business, which was released in 2007 ... and thankfully, it doesn't sound like an Incubus song.

No, it's a much slower, bluesy song, almost as if it was something that Jack White may have penned for his Raconteurs. The song features and old "vaudevillian" piano, accompanied by a similar vaudevillian beat ... it's kind of refreshing when a band does something a little different than the "norm" we hear on mainstream radio (my opinion only, of course). There is a catchy guitar hook in throughout the song.

The lyrics are a little sketchy, but from what I gather it's about the importance of keeping your nose out of certain situations. It's definitely worth a listen.

No comments: