Halloween is rapidly approaching. I guess I’ve never grown up because (A) I wish I could still go door-to-door asking for candy, and (B) I take enormous pride in creating weird/funny Halloween costumes (for the Halloween parties I go to). Maybe I do this because my mom never really allowed me to have cool costumes – she generally always saved my jeans that I had ruined (usually sliding on concrete at school), and then would ultimately dress me as some sort of bum (thanks, mom). What I wouldn’t have given to be a vampire, werewolf, or member of Kiss. So, come college, I started taking pride in my Halloween garb. I’ve probably done this in a prior post, but who cares – I’m doing it again. Here is a list of my favorite Halloween costumes:
1. Mick Jagger, circa the early 1970’s glam-rock years – I went full out with lipstick, eye shadow, purple stretch pants. Quite an amazing outfit, if I do say so myself.
2. Drew Carey – I always get compared with him – me being a thinner version of the guy. So, I borrowed some of my dads clothes, stuffed them with pillows, got some black glasses, and ta-da!!!! I actually won the best costume contest at the party I was at.
3. The Nittany Lion – I worked at Penn State Delaware County, one of the branch campuses, and was able to get the mascot costume for the weekend – sure it was hot and sweaty, but it LOOKED cool.
4. Heino – this was my favorite in recent memory. I spent a lot of time trying to find a red sports-coat, and I ordered a mountainous background poster that I was able to attach to the sportscoat (Heino took a lot of pictures in front of mountains). In case you don’t know who Heino is (I’m guessing hardly anyone does), check him out here: http://www.heino.de/
5. The Nature Boy, Rick Flair – This may have been the most elaborate costume I ever did. My wife and I went overboard with his robe – in case you don’t know who Flair is – he is only the greatest professional wrestler of all time. He is also very flamboyant – here is one of his robes, to give you an idea on just how much of an effort we had to put in: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/r/ricflair/62.jpg
If I ever find any of those pics – I’ll try to post them.