Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Song of the Week

I heard this song a couple of years ago, liked it, but didn't really think much about it ... until I recently started hearing it on mainstream radio. MGMT is an interesting band - it's really a two-person outfit, and instead of genuine instruments, they choose to go the route of the computer ... and usually, synthesized music is a no-no with me - but somehow, these guys make it work, especially, with the song "Kids."

This is probably their most popular song, although MGMT fans will tell you there are plenty of better songs - guys, I'll get to listening to those songs at some point ... eventually.

"Kids" has an infectious hook that is strung throughout the entire song, just to make sure it stays in your head long after the song ends. It also has a great chorus section that, once you learn it, begs you to stand up and shout it. The lyrics are dark, but intriguing. And hey, guess what - they're American! How 'bout that!

You can find out more about MGMT here:

1 comment:

Superstar said...

Be glad you are not a teacher! I catch myself singing the most wacked out songs...kid songs...all about behaviors: you know the "if you're happy and you know it..." kind???
~shakes head~

I need to check out your new find!