Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Interesting topic

Recently, whilst watching some college basketball at a local watering hole, my friend "Slant" and I got into a conversation about music, like we normally tend to do. During this talk, a Stones song came on the radio (as if it was fate). I believe the song was "Get Off of my Cloud," one of their classics. Of course, our conversation naturally gravitated to the Stones.

Slant mentioned he loves a lot of their older songs, but really didn't like Satisfaction. I found that a little odd, because Satisfaction is one of their most popular songs ... ever. But, hey, I won't hold that against him. Truth be told, it's not really one of my favorites either.

We discussed the song a little further (because I can't let stuff like that go), and I brought up the fact that the opening riff is great (I probably used obscenities and other words), to which he agreed. He took it a step further and said that the opening riff to Satisfaction probably defines rock and roll the best ... in other words, if you were thinking of a way to describe rock and roll, playing the opening riff to Satisfaction is all you'd really need to do.

I found this fascinating ... far be it from me to ever disagree with someone making a bold yet positive Rolling Stones related statement. I wanted to see everyone else's thoughts on this (I'm not completely sold on the statement, but I'm close).

On a related note, I was wearing a Rolling Stones shirt to the bar (surprise-surprise), and a patron of the bar said something along the lines of "I'll forgive you for wearing that shirt - the Stones are an awful live band." Hey, to each his own, but the guy based it on one show he went to in the early 1970's. I mean, seriously? This band has been around for ever - they must be doing something right? Having a bad experience at one Stones show and generalizing that they suck as a live band would be akin to me eating a bad hamburger and claiming that all hamburgers are terrible. The man later followed that idiotic comment up with another doozy "That song B*tch is the only good song the Stones have ever made." I informed him that the jerk-store called and they were out of him.

8 comments:

Heff said...

First, bitches !

Dude, I MUST agree with him. Every time I've heard The Stones live, they've sounded like krap. Remember that Superbowl show a few years ago ?!?

Sorry.

Jeff said...

Basing a current band upon one concert 35 years ago is lame. And if anyone would know about the jerk store ...

Love Stones concerts, but they're more about energy and theater than the music. The background music doesn't vary much from song to song (often same notes in different keys). That may be a good thing -- allows them to play at a higher energy level.

I think it's impossible to define rock with a single 15-second clip. Many musicians have clips that do as well as Satisfaction: The Clash (London Calling), Tom Petty (Runnin' Down a Dream), ZZ Top (Tush, Tube Snake Boogie, Cheap Sunglasses), AC/DC (Dirty Deeds), U2 (Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday), Robert Palmer (Bad Case of Loving You), off the top of my head.

But no 15-second clip captures the more playful songs like Big Ten Inch Record, Big Balls, I Used to Love Her, or any sing-along song.

Jeff said...

Almost forgot: Satisfaction can't adequately capture Ted Nugent.

Big Daddy said...

I have only seen the Stones once and it was ok.

I personally think that if many Zep songs opening riffs define rock and roll. Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, and Kashmir are just a few examples.

-B- said...

The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "My Generation" could be put into the "guitar riffs that define rock" category as well.

I also agree with Big D - you have to have some Zepp songs in there!
"Rock and Roll"!!

Ink and Stone said...

OK. Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water'. Now THERE is a riff that defines rock.

Ink and Stone said...

Also, Iron Butterfly's 'Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida' and Randy Rhodes riff in 'Crazy Train' are great defining rock moments.

Ken said...

I love the Van Halen opening riff for, "Girl you really got me now."