Monday, March 30, 2009

Song of the Week

When people think of the Kinks, a few songs come to mind - "You Really Got Me," "Come Dancing," and "Lola" most likely. However, this band which was part of the British Invasion of the early 1960's has many, many great tunes. Sadly, the Kinks never really got the recognition they deserved - in my opinion, they're probably the most underrated and ignored band in all of rock and roll ... OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

One of my absolute Kinks favorites is a song titled Superman ... no, it's not that sappy song that came out a few years ago. Anyway, this is an early 1980's nugget has a classic "Four-on-the-Floor" beat, with a solid rhythmic baseline, accented by wavy keyboards and and some classic Kinks guitar riffs. The chorus "Superman, Superman ... wish I could fly like Superman!" well stick in your head kind of like how good pancakes stick to your ribs. The lyrics (and video) are, on the surface, tongue and cheek, but if you listen closely, the theme of the song is about a world that has many problems (woah, that's heavy Ogre!).

You can find out more about the Kinks here.

I found a video for this song that was a bit strange, so I'm not even sure it is the "official" video for this song - I figured I'd share it with you (at least you can hear the song).

4 comments:

Heff said...

I remember one they had called "Paranoia"...

El Padrino said...

decent band for sure

Superstar said...

I love those songs...they make me want to get up and boogie woogie...

Sandi said...

Celluloid Heroes was always my favorite Kinks song.