Sunday, February 27, 2011

80's Corner


Back in the early 1980's, there were many, many 7-11's around my way. I used to frequent them, because (a) I loved slurpees and candy, and (b) the ones near us had a few arcade games in them. Wawa eventually scared 7-11 off ... sure there are still a few around, but not many.

Anyway, I remember 7-11 introducing the Big Gulp in the early 1980's (I can't seem to confirm when, though). Basically, 7-11 introduced these huge cups that would hold seemingly gallons of soda. And the cool thing was that you could fill up the soda yourself (at least it was marketed as being cool). And the price for these Big Gulps was very cheap.

My friends and I would go to 7-11 and basically mix-and-match all of the sodas in the Big Gulp Cup ... Usually, the taste was awful, but we swore to ourselves it tasted good (we thought we were inventing a new kind of soda). Anyway, I remember having to pee every 1/2 hour for the rest of the day after finishing one of these Big Gulps ... good time.

1 comment:

Steph said...

There aren't any 7-11's here but I used to enjoy a slurpee every now and then.