Sunday, February 06, 2011

Song of the Week

Bruce Springsteen is hit or miss with me ... I love some of his music, can't stand some of it. Plus, there are times when I'm in a Springsteen mood and other times where I need to change the channel.

There is one hidden nugget on "The Wild, the Innocent, the East Street Shuffle" album that I will always love. It's a ballad-type of song (not something Bruce is really known for), and it's about a city that I don't particularly like (well, at least not th sports teams).

The song is called "New York City Serenade," and it's a long song, with lots of changes in tempo and intensity. But, man, can this song pull at your heart-strings. I'm not even entirely sure what the song is about - it's one of those diddys in which the melody, the musical instruments, and the backing vocals are overpowering.

The style of song and the length of it make it nearly impossible to play on the radio, but I suggest you give it a listen.

Here's a live version of it:

No comments: