Monday, December 28, 2009

Song of the Week


I hope everyone had a great Christmas (holiday). I had a lot of fun hanging with family and friends, and of course opening presents. Some of my favorite presents included a netbook, a cool fishing game for the Wii, tickets to a Stones tribute band show, and the Freaks and Geeks DVD set.

Of course the most "interesting" present I received was a gag gift from my brother and his wife ... the Bob Dylan Christmas CD. Yes, you heard me right, Bob Dylan released a cd of classic Christmas songs this past fall ... and sadly, it's as awful as the idea sounds. Dylan never had a great voice, but it fit in well with the music he wrote. With each passing year, his voice has gotten progressively worse.

Folks, his voice has hit rock-bottom with this album. I'm confused with this - Dylan has been see-sawing for years between Christianity and Judaism... I actually think his back to being Jewish, which makes this project head-scratching. What prompted hims to do this?Did he lose a bet with his son Jacob? I'm sure he's set financially, right?

As bad as this album is, there is one song that isn't half-bad, and could live on with each successive Christmas season - "Must be Santa." Maybe I gravitate to this diddy because it's a song that was a staple of my grade-school chorus. Maybe because it's goofy and light-hearted ... and actually fun. Maybe it's because the background vocalists seem more prominent than Bob Dylan in this. Whatever the reason, if you need a new Christmas album, the Bob Dylan album is not the one for you ... but you can download "Must Be Santa."

5 comments:

snowelf said...

My son sang "Must be Santa" in his Christmas play and I was looking for a song for him to practice to and found the Bob Dylan one...oy.
I think you summed it up nicely here! :)

--snow

sirgeb said...

This can only be trumped by "A William Shatner Christmas" (spoken word).

No, I don't think such a thing exists, but now that Dylan's got one, we've started down the slipery slope, so give it a few years.

Steph said...

Bob Dylan Christmas music? Sounds horrid.

Jeff said...

Everybody must get snow!

El Padrino said...

you win