Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Weekly Homework Assignment


It's time once again for Mama Kat's weekly homework assignment! This week, I chose the following prompt: It was a bad burn. Tell about the worst sunburn you ever received. How did that happen!?!

Well, to be honest, I've never had a really bad sunburn ... oh don't get me wrong - I'm fair skinned, and could easily burn, but I've done pretty well protecting myself over the years (and after repeated exposure, I tan pretty well).

So ... I have a friend who probably takes the cake. We'll call him "The Reverend." For our senior week in high school, a group of us took a trip to Cancun, Mexico. It was awesome! And, it was also quite hot - a very dry heat ... one that sneaks up on you. I was warned about this. So were all of my friends. Most took it to heart. The Reverend didn't.

He was sitting under an umbrella the first day we arrived. We all jumped in the pool, and he decided to relax. Rev fell asleep ... for about an hour. And unfortunately, the sun shifted ... and his legs were exposed ... and they were exposed for a good 1/2 hour before he even noticed. By that point, his skin was an unhealthy pink.

The unhealthy pink continued to get darker pink, until his legs looked as if he was wearing purple leotards. He claimed he felt no pain that evening and night ... but the next morning, he rolled over, and let out a yelp as if a dog had gotten its tail caught in the hinge of a car door ... except his yelp was longer. Poor Rev could only lay there and swallow the pain for hours before doing anything about it. It was the worst case of sunburn I'd ever seen ... but all the credit in the world goes to the Reverend - he found a way to still enjoy the rest of senior week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a redhead (shocking, I know) so I don't tan. I burn. Easily. I think about the sun and I burn. Ok maybe not that bad.

My worst time was when I decided to wash my car (teenager) and put on my swimming suit to do so since it was hot and I would be getting wet. I forgot that it was the hottest part of the day and the sun was at full force. And even though I was only out for a 1/2 hour... I got so badly burned that my shoulders and upper back were blistered. One huge mass of blisters. When they started to pop my shirt would have to be pealed off my back because it would stick to it.

And then I started pealing like no one had ever pealed before.

Shari said...

Poor Rev. I understand. Once I peeled off all the sunburned skin on my face in one sheet. Nasty.

Unknown said...

Ouch! I'm a red head and burn pretty easily. I can't imagin purple though. Holy Shit that must have hurt.

Steph said...

Ouch! Luckily, I burn slightly once a year and then I'm good to go.

Heff said...

I've got a little Cherokee Indian in me (lol), so Heff can handle the sun.