Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Weekly Homework Assignment


It's time once again for Mama Kat's Weekly Homework Assignment! This week, I chose the following prompt: Describe a memorable Thanksgiving. Every Thanksgiving is memorable for me, because I get to see family members that I don't see very often. One particular Thanksgiving that stands out is the Thanksgiving of 1993 ... not because of anything family-related, though.

You say, my high school has a football rivalry against a neighboring high school ... the thing is, I'm not sure it could be classified as a rivalry. You see, our high school had been beaten something like 33 out of the 34 times it played against Ridley High. Most games weren't that close, unfortunately. So, it was more of a Thanksgiving flogging. The last time my high school (Interboro) had beaten Ridley was in 1973, by a score of 9-7 on a last-second field goal.

That changed in 1993 ... I remember it well. The local paper was predicting a close game, and it really was. I believe Interboro trailed for most of the game, but ended up scoring a late touchdown to end the streak ... I remember joking that the last time Interboro beat Ridley, I was crappin' my diapers .... OK, not a real funny joke.

The Rivalry has been MUCH closer since then, with the teams going about .500 against each other ... I like it better that way!

3 comments:

snowelf said...

In my family football and thanksgiving ALWAYS go together. :)

--snow

Susan said...

My fondest Thanksgiving memory was about 4 years ago, I had celebrated with my soon to be in-laws. We had a lovely time eating and talking about anything and everything! Just a nice time and the men did the dishes!

Steph said...

My favorite Thanksgiving was when my uncle (you know the idiot that every family has) got drunk and tripped and spilled his plate of food all over the place.