Monday, January 25, 2010

Dope or Nope


In the past 10 years or so, NASCAR's popularity has grown remarkably. Once a sport that was popular in the south but more of a novelty in the north, it is now not uncommon to see people wearing shirts and jackets with familiary NASCAR numbers (24, and 3 for example) or cars featuring said numbers all over the country.

Talk of moving some NASCAR races into "unfamiliar" northern territories like New York City has been heating up the last few years. There are a couple of races in the Poconos and Dover Delaware that are now hugely attended. The sport is now challenging the 4 major U.S. sports for fan support and dominance.

So, what do you guys think of NASCAR? Personally, I can't stand it. I've tried watching and have been bored out of my skull. Maybe it's because I don't know (or refuse to learn) the intricacies of the sport. Maybe it's because it's too closely related to country music. For whatever reason, I hate it, and I hate that it takes a prominent role on SportsCenter (and ESPN for that matter).

10 comments:

Ink and Stone said...

Nope. More boring than boring. I don't see how anyone can find entertainment in watching people drive in a circle/oval 500 times.

Mike Minzes said...

NASCAR will never make it north of Richmond Virrginia in terms of sellership. We have our own race here in the Washington area that we call rush hour on the belway that makes NASCAR racing look like a kiddie ride. LOL

sirgeb said...

I think it's awful, but admittedly, I'd like to go to one race to see what it's all about... just one though.

Highlights of crashes are pretty cool though.

Sandi said...

Nope! My brother LOVES Nascar. You couldn't pay me to go.

El Padrino said...

nope, nascar is the gay

DILLIGAF said...

Can't say I'm a great fan...mind you...baseball?....American football?...Basket ball?.....

You do have some very weird ideas of what is sport over there mate!

....or perhaps it's 'cause you won't win The World Cup...;-)

Steph said...

NOPE... cars driving in circles is not interesting to me.

Beej said...

I have no idea what it is and how its different from regular racing. I'm just not sports minded at all.

Lisa said...

I can't say I'm a huge fan, but after I went to a live race I can totally see why people get into it. Watching it on TV is torturous. Seeing it live is completely exhiliarting ... even if you know nothing about it. Not to mention, the NASCAR tailgating experience takes it to a new level -- more like party camping. So I say, TV nope ... live, dope.

Paige Jennifer said...

There are many other sports I'd rather watch. And I hate connecting through Charlotte where everything is Nascar themed.

That being said, the HBO documentary series following Jimmy Johnson's road to the Indy 500 (Fri nights) just might change my opinion. It's pretty incredible what goes into racing.